Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windowsill growing questions in Colorado

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    one, dont listen to him, at northern latitudes there isnt going to be strong enough light coming through that window to fry anything with neps that are not under glass other than the couple that are shade lovers....Judith Finn is just an inconsistant pitcherer......
    I'll second that and add a caveat: your latitude does not matter. I have JF in the window here in the lab and it has pitchered for me. And I am in Atlanta which is pretty south
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol when i said northern latitudes i was figuring anything north of the tropics pretty much.....actually dont think there is a real ton of difference in the light coming through the window between MT and GA other than the winter months you have the edge......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    actually dont think there is a real ton of difference in the light coming through the window between MT and GA other than the winter months you have the edge......
    Only if we are both assuming S facing window. Mine is in a NW facing ATM. Gets little if any direct light but lots of ambient.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I was referring to with the light is that CO is at 5000 feet elevation, and the light is very harsh: much more solar radiation gets through because there is less atmosphere to filter it. You get sunburned much faster here than lower elevation, and I thought the plants might get burned in direct sun also.

Do you keep your neps in a spot where they get significant direct sun?

I guess what I really wanted was reassurance that the plants were looking alright for their living conditions and age - seems like people have these giant plants that are only a few years old...

Thanks for the comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adrian,

THe people with giant plants either have a greenhouse or have plants that are years old. Yours will get there, just give them time

I grow a number of my Neps out on the deck in full sun all day during the warmer months. They only come to work with me once the nights hit 45.

For you, the 5000' elevation difference is not going to be a big thing. They are still shielded by the glass which is protecting them a lot.

And, tangent, where in Denver are you? I grew up in Evergreen so I know the region well.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one thing yah need to remember some of the giant plants you are seeing are hybrids that are also showing hybrid vigor.......also some neps never get that big.....heck my bongso didnt get much over a foot across before it started vining...biggest plant i have at the moment is not quite 2 foot across but it is also several year old and was over a foot across when i got it.....some big species like bical can get huge quick, others like rajah can take decades to get huge.....the quickest way to get big plants is to buy big plants the vast majority of my neps at the moment are less than 6 inches across.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro - I'm in Lafayette right now, but will probably move to Westminster area soon. I imagine the plants like GA a little more with the humidity and light. My American Pitchers, VFTs and Sundews did fine in full sun, but I'm a little worried about putting the Neps out there. Did you grow any neps outside when you lived here? I think I killed my VFTs though by leaving them outside a couple days this winter - stupid - it got very cold, and there's no green left on them. I'll repot them soon and see if the bulb is still viable. Otherwise I'll have to get some more. Tangent - do you know of any local places in DEN area that have CPs?

I've been reading all the posts on encouraging basals, and I think when I repot the ventricosa this spring I'll put it at an angle - it looks like a dang palm tree right now with that giant wooden stem.

Rattler - I like the big plants, but I'm stubborn about buying them small - I feel like it's cheating or something to just buy them full grown. But then I get impatient with the tiny plants...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the plants like it a bit better here LOL.

I did not grow any Neps outside while I was there but I did not grow Neps while I was there so... You could probably get away with some of the intermediates and lowlanders during summer. Just protect them from direct sun when you first put them out cause they will get burned from the intensity.

Your VFT might pull through. I have had them survive 14F here in pots outside.

Places to get CPs in Denver were pretty thin when I was there and I doubt much has changed. There is a garden center off 70 and Kipling (I think it was Kipling, may have been Ward) called Echters (not certain on that spelling) and they had some stuff. And a few miles east of Colorado on Colfax there was a place called City Floral (it'll be on the south side of Colfax, and there is a King Soopers across the street from it) that occasionally had some. Got a S. x moorei there once upon a forever ago. Other than that it was pretty slim pickings, sort of catch as catch can.

You might want to check out the CO CPS (if it is still up and running) the guys there are nice and can probably hook you up better.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12