Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Splotches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brown Splotches

Hey everybody,

I'm sure some of you remember my "ventricosa bush" as I liked to call it, but recently I have had to take drastic measures...

This is what it used to look like. But even in this photo you can see the tiny problem that I too overlooked.

After trimming the plant back to one growing point hoping that the plant would be able to better fight off whatever this is, it still has been declining.

As you can see the undersides of the leaves have been attacked by something. I am not sure whether this is a fungus or perhaps a mite problem. Either way, I have sulfur and Neem Oil at my near disposal and I am wondering which would be best to use.

I have seen similar splotches on some of my other plants and after a treatment of sulfur it had all been eliminated (so I thought). But for this to randomly appear on one of my other plants and with such force as to cause some leaf malformations I wonder if I have another problem.

Whichever treatment is deemed best I plan on applying to all my other plants as well (a few other Nepenthes and several orchids including vanilla).

Any help would be greatly appreciated and all trades of mine have been postponed until I can treat this problem.

Thanks,
    -J.P.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems similar to a mite problem...

but in the last few photos, the plants seem somewhat 'dusty.' Have you done a TDS check on your water lately? Seems like mineral buildup is being left behind after it evaporates.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest it probably is dust... haha. I haven't checked my water but it is RO coming from my chem lab so I would assume it is kept in check.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As nate said above, it looks like a mite problem. I had some similar looking splotches on my plants when mites hit. Orthene, merit, neem oil, and a couple others work well on mites, as well as many other fungal and pest issues. Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as an update, I am still waiting for my Neem Oil to get here X.x but in the mean time I decided I'd try a "home remedy." On the ventricosa I applied a coat of "Germ-X" antibacterial hand sanitizer gel (the stuff you can get at the dollar store) twice a day and I have seen a huge improvement in the overall appearance of the plant. A Q-tip and a tiny bottle of that stuff go a long way and so far I've seen no ill effects. I still plan on using the Neem on my collection once it gets here to be safe but for spot treatment this hand sanitizer seems to work wonders.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just as a heads up, if it was a mite problem... the damage on the leaves wont go away. What's done is done. New growth should look better after treatment. If your spots are vanishing, then the culprit is something else.

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The damage that was done is still present but as far as the visible red dots marching on the leaves and the weird sheen they had, they are almost gone. New growth isn't deformed like it was and other than old damage it seems to be "feeling better."

Grow/Want List

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, that GermX, and nearly any of that hand sanitizer stuff, is just rubbing alcohol, gel form.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast