Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dream Hybrids?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.

Wouldn't that be sooo cool?
    These are some of my favorite plants, but with this many genes, imagine a giant, ugly thing with red pitchers, fangs, extreme petalate insertation, and a hooked peristome!
    NOW we're talking.:P I like that idea. Even a simple cross between Clipeata and Rajah would probably produce some interestingly massive pitchers with petalate insertion like no other

Quote Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
    Hi guys

Ummm lemme see......(N rajah x bical) x (hamata x edwardsiana) x bical lol.......Its goona be some heck of a plant to care for

Ken
    I bet with that much Bical in its genes that it would probably not be very hard, and would have serious hybrid vigor.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.

Wouldn't that be sooo cool?
    These are some of my favorite plants, but with this many genes, imagine a giant, ugly thing with red pitchers, fangs, extreme petalate insertation, and a hooked peristome!
    actually given how fast veitchii's peristrome vanishes when you start doing complex hybrids without other species with flared peristromes though it tends to be very prominent in simple crosses, when yah start doing those very complex crosses i would have to believe even though your using some darn interesting plants, the huge range of shapes present would likely mean your going to wind up with a rather ordinary looking nep as various genes fight for dominance and start nullifying each other....most of the outstanding looking crosses you see are generally simple crosses between two species or a simple cross combined with a pure species as the genes that cause the interesting peristrome shapes and such have a better chance to express themselves.....the above complex cross im almost betting would be rather ordinary looking though the pitchers would likely be fairly colorful.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >most of the outstanding looking crosses you see are generally simple crosses between two species or a simple cross combined with a pure species as the genes that cause the interesting peristrome shapes and such have a better chance to express themselves.....the above complex cross im almost betting would be rather ordinary looking though the pitchers would likely be fairly colorful..... <

so true, rattler. Using a select few species combined the right way yields the best result.
    As an example, we've seen some spectacular cultivars come out of multi-generational combinations of just maxima, veitchii and northiana. Also, using very select parental clones goes a long way towards desired results.
    Some of the simpler combinations suggested in this thread would be excellent (and who's to say some of them haven't been done yet ;D), other combinations, as you stated, tend to cancel out the unique characteristics of both parents.
    Also, for accuracy's sake;
    >Originally Posted by Clue
    Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.<

Briggsiana is a specific grex name for (ventricosa x lowii). (Lowii x ventricosa) is the reciprocal, and is not Briggsiana. There is a difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Trent : I always mix that up. It is ventricosa x lowii. I'll edit the post. That specific plant is actually a 'Peter D'Amato'
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

When Time Stood Still Metranisome's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see...
    N. campanulata x N. aristolochiodies (think of the size!)
    N. albomarginata 'green' x S. leucophylla 'green' (just think of the colors it would produce!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hamata and ephippiata, teeth and hooks, that would be a vicious hybrid! i prefer ephippiata to lowii, not too fond of the bizzare lowii upper pitchers...
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually ephippiata as goes throw the same upper pitchers as lowii, except the narrow waist isn't as narrow.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metranisome View Post
    Lets see...
    N. albomarginata 'green' x S. leucophylla 'green' (just think of the colors it would produce!)
    Come on now. :P Let's try and stay in the same Genus at least.

I think a really awesome and simple hybrid would be N. Clipeata x N. Rajah.

And then to get it more like the classicly awesome shape of clipeata how about:

N. Clipeata x (N. Rajah x N. Clipeata)

That's bound to be a huge plant. Mad petiolate insertion too!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast