What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So I kinda poked around and as surprised to find that there didn't seem to be a thread concerning this already. Maybe this is in the wrong forum because its kind of abstract, but I still thing it belongs in Nepenthes.

SO! If you had any two male and female flower stalks of any Nepenthes plant, which ones would you mix up?

Some of my personal fantasies include:

N. Aristolochiodies x N. Klossi (and reverse)
N. Bicalcarata x N. Argentii (reverse as well)
N. Edwardsiana x N. Hamata

So what do you guys dream about crossing? :p

lowii x hamata.
lowii x (hamata x edwardsiana)

burbidgeae x truncata
rafflesiana x lowii

inermis x (inermis x albomarginata) Nepenthes "Margarita"

Dionaea x Pinguicula :D
Seriously, though, I think that some hybrid between talangensis and inermis/eymae/jacqulineae would present some interesting possibilities... hopefully something small with flared lower pitchers as well as uppers. Interesting topic.
~Joe

N. burbidgeae x northiana
N. glabrata x flava
N. northiana x flava
N. burbidgeae x flava
N. northiana x glabrata
N. burbidgeae x glabrata
N. glabrata x northiana
N. tentaculata x burbidgeae
N. veitchii x glabrata
N. veitchii x burbidgeae
N. veitchii x flava
N. inermis x northiana
N. inermis x burbidgeae
N. hamata x burbidgeae
N. hamata x northiana
N. hamata x veitchii
N. hamata x flava
N. burbidgeae x ephippiata
N. northiana x ephippiata
N. hamata x ephippiata
N. flava x ephippiata
N. veitchii x ephippiata
N. glabrata x ephippiata
N. tentaculata x ephippiata
N. inermis x ephippiata
N. eymae x burbidgeae
N. eymae x northiana
N. eymae x hamata
N. eymae x flava
N. eymae x glabrata
N. eymae x tentaculata
N. eymae x inermis
N. eymae x ephippiata

[Basically, almost any primary - and complex - hybrids between N. northiana, burbidgeae, flava, hamata, glabrata, eymae, tentaculata, ephipiatta, veitchii, and inermis]

...Just some of my many wishes.

(reciprocals would work too)

What, no Sarracenias? :I

Aristo x (edwardsiana x jacq)
Sanguinea x ventricosa
Platychila x lowii
Jacq x aristo (and reverse)
Inermis x (jacq x lowii)

Hamata x Jacquelinae. Or reverse
Hamata x Aristolochioides. Or reverse.
Jacquelinae x Truncata

Dionaea x Pinguicula :D

But you would create a plant called "Audrey Junior" if you did that.

I want to see a hybrid between N. Hamata and N. Ventricosa.

I'm also eager to see a hybrid between Pinguicula Lutea and Pinguicula Primuiflora.

Bical x rajah! :-O

hamata x macrophylla

Bical x rajah! :-O
oo That is an idea!

inermis x (inermis x albomarginata) Nepenthes "Margarita"

I like this one :D

Going for something massive:

N. Bical x [(N. Northiana x N. Bical) x (N. Rajah x N. Bical)

Bet it would have some sort of teeth too.

Another really interesting one that might be more realistic:

N. Dubia x N. Ampullaria?

Seriously, just a few more decades and some of these will be possible/ happening.

get me the coloring of Capslocks spec x vent on a bigger peristrome such as veitchii's........want to see things crossed with jac, had jac x izumae that was an awesome plant, still pissed i lost it

Nepenthes x (ventricosa x lowii 'Briggsiana' 'Peter D'Amato' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.

Wouldn't that be sooo cool?
These are some of my favorite plants, but with this many genes, imagine a giant, ugly thing with red pitchers, fangs, extreme petalate insertation, and a hooked peristome!

Last edited:
Hi guys

Ummm lemme see......(N rajah x bical) x (hamata x edwardsiana) x bical lol.......Its goona be some heck of a plant to care for :D

How about N bicalcarata x truncata x (N bical x miranda)
I'm seriously talking nonesense here i can't even imagine what kind of plant that would look like...All i know is if you were to want the bical fangs on a hybrid you might need 2 crosses with bical in it to have a clear look..Just curious has anyone made N ventrata x miranda?

Ken

fun thread
all possible combinations of ;
hamata
edwardsiana
macrophylla
lowii
jamban (a toothy toilet)
albomarginata (how cool would white teeth be?)
i would also like to see what a sib hamata will really look like.
darren

Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.

These are some of my favorite plants, but with this many genes, imagine a giant, ugly thing with red pitchers, fangs, extreme petalate insertation, and a hooked peristome!

NOW we're talking.:p I like that idea. Even a simple cross between Clipeata and Rajah would probably produce some interestingly massive pitchers with petalate insertion like no other

Hi guys

Ummm lemme see......(N rajah x bical) x (hamata x edwardsiana) x bical lol.......Its goona be some heck of a plant to care for :D

Ken

I bet with that much Bical in its genes that it would probably not be very hard, and would have serious hybrid vigor.

Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.

actually given how fast veitchii's peristrome vanishes when you start doing complex hybrids without other species with flared peristromes though it tends to be very prominent in simple crosses, when yah start doing those very complex crosses i would have to believe even though your using some darn interesting plants, the huge range of shapes present would likely mean your going to wind up with a rather ordinary looking nep as various genes fight for dominance and start nullifying each other....most of the outstanding looking crosses you see are generally simple crosses between two species or a simple cross combined with a pure species as the genes that cause the interesting peristrome shapes and such have a better chance to express themselves.....the above complex cross im almost betting would be rather ordinary looking though the pitchers would likely be fairly colorful.....

>most of the outstanding looking crosses you see are generally simple crosses between two species or a simple cross combined with a pure species as the genes that cause the interesting peristrome shapes and such have a better chance to express themselves.....the above complex cross im almost betting would be rather ordinary looking though the pitchers would likely be fairly colorful..... <

so true, rattler. Using a select few species combined the right way yields the best result.
As an example, we've seen some spectacular cultivars come out of multi-generational combinations of just maxima, veitchii and northiana. Also, using very select parental clones goes a long way towards desired results.
Some of the simpler combinations suggested in this thread would be excellent (and who's to say some of them haven't been done yet ;D), other combinations, as you stated, tend to cancel out the unique characteristics of both parents.
Also, for accuracy's sake;
>Originally Posted by Clue
Nepenthes x (lowii x ventricosa 'Briggsiana' x maxima) x (hamata x bicalcarata) x rajah x clipeata.<

Briggsiana is a specific grex name for (ventricosa x lowii). (Lowii x ventricosa) is the reciprocal, and is not Briggsiana. There is a difference.

@ Trent : I always mix that up. It is ventricosa x lowii. I'll edit the post. That specific plant is actually a 'Peter D'Amato'

Back