Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inducing Nepenthes budding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inducing Nepenthes budding

I bought this Nep rafflesiana last christmas through another grower and received a complete mess. I had a gift certificate and used it to expand a bit but needless to say the packaging job was horrible. A Sarr was not in dormancy and falling out of the pot and this nep took a beating. Medium was frozen solid when i received it so i quickly repotted with what I had in hand to try and save it. Most of my Neps are in sphagnum/coconut bark medium but 2 are doing really well in perlite/sphagnum which I will replace later on in the year with the coconut / shagnum.

So i repotted this Nep about 2 months ago and trimmed all the dead parts and the left over leaves have stayed the color they are now and I have been waiting for a new bud to form since the meristem and 3-4 nodes were killed due to the cold. The roots are fine and there is some fleshy xylem/phloem that you can see in the pic.

So my question is, is there anyway I can induce budding? Right now the plant is in 28-30 degrees celcius conditions with no less then 50% RH and an 18hr photoperiod.

Thanks for the help!

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=IMG_1508.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just leave it in good conditions and wait. Don't fiddle with it too much - just let it get used to the conditions. I urge patience more than anything in this situation. The plant looks like it's alive and going to make it.

Also, I find perlite/sphag just as good as coco/sphag if not better, so don't bother replanting the ones in perlite/sphag until they really need it.

Casplock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks for all Capslock, I've read they can take up to 4 months before anything really happens, i'll just keep my fingers crossed and give it some TLC lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    varries with species, i have had ampullaria not produce a single leaf for 6 months after i got it than all the sudden started growing like gangbusters.............others dont seem to stop growing at all even when conditions make a drastic change.......just let it sit...

personally i wouldnt use coco/sphagnum.....coco-peat works fine so long as its not given a chance to compact, as soon as it compacts it deteriorates rapidly if kept constantly wet/damp......im afraid mixing it with just sphagnum will give it a good chance of compacting and starting to rot.....personally i like the coco-peat but i make sure its mixed with perlite or orchid bark to make sure air gets into the mix.........with air entering the mix coco-peat lasts as long as any other soil material, allowed to compact and stay wet and it will turn to sludge in a matter of weeks sometimes.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler, I figured he's using coco chips, which don't have the compacting problem and are a fine nep mix additive. But yeah - don't use coco peat in a nep mix - although I do use 100% cocopeat to germinate nepenthes seed.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i shoulda realized that........and ive used straight coco-peat to get seedlings going aswell.....works fine for that purpose.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/