Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Vs. Nepenthes?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fantastic snake man. WOW!! Yeah! A bical can be a great choice.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitcher fluids aren't dangerous to vertebrates unless they're submersed for a long time. There are any number of invertebrates and vertebrates that make pitchers their home. A snake that will likely be several times the size of the pitchers will not be in any danger from them. Baby snakes? Maybe. But not an adult.
    Other plants to consider might be large specimens of the more durable varieties. Can you clarify a bit on your conditions? From the sound of it, you're able to make a temperature drop in the enclosure, but this would be to accommodate a Nep, and not the snake, right? If that's the case, it might be easiest to just aim for a lowlander and provide lowland, constant-temperature conditions. If the snake appreciates cool nights, something like a mature N. sanguinea, or some sturdy hybrid, might be best. If this guy is going to want to climb, just get him something big enough to climb on. A larger Nep trained to a sturdy piece of driftwood will probably keep him happy well into the two-to-three-foot-long range. Or maybe get something branchy like a Dracaena or a Ficus for climbing, and keep the Nep out of the way in a less inviting spot.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A temperature drop at night to around 72 degrees is needed to induce breeding behavior. While a night-drop isn't necessary outside of breeding season, especially one that low, it wouldn't be harmful either. Considering the basking area can reach the mid 90's, a year round night-drop of 10 degrees isn't out of the question. The actual building of this enclosure is still a year or two away, so plenty of time to make changes

The humidity on the other hand is going to be pretty stable. I am going to shoot for 60% humidity. That will be maintained just by the amount of ventilation and plants in there. Not going to bother with the misters/foggers, the dart frog keepers can have em. For it to support true highlanders a humidity change would be required too, right?

After looking into the Bical's growing habits, that seems like it would be a good fit actually. Some cool pitchers and vigorous growth. How long could that live happily in an enclosure of that size though? Could it be kept indefinitely with careful pruning and potting?

So far the ampullaria seems to be the best plant it and forget it nep for this project. The only drawback I can see is that it prefers to stay wetter than most others? I would hate for the snake to be in competition for floorspace, how quickly do they spread?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no humidity change is required for highlanders as far as I can tell. You'll probably get a significant variance in relative humidity just from the temperature change. N. bical could probably be maintained in that space indefinitely with care - the trick would be getting it to adulthood. Definitely worth looking into if you have an affordable source of plant material. Once you get one going, I understand that they're fairly vigorous plants. As for N. ampullaria taking up your floor space - I wouldn't worry about it. Your snake will be able to climb over them easily if they ever get to being too big. Whatever species you choose to go with, I suggest keeping it potted and burying the pot in the terrarium. You'll want to be able to remove the plant to maintain it, and lifting a pot out will be much easier than digging up the entire enclosure.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Tom,

Nice Jag! Who produced it?

You should do fine with a Nep in the enclosure assuming you are tanking and not tubbing. I have a N. albomarginata growing in my chondro tank and it does great.

What you will probably want to do is plant the Nep in a pot/holder with a very free draining media and give it a decent misting every day or so. That is how I do my N. albo, gets misted when I give the chondro her nightly spritz.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a previous owner of a 6 foot carpet python, my suggestion is one your willing to let it destroy........they are big, active snakes and the chances of it busting up plants in the tank is high..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always liked Carpet Pythons but perhaps they get a bit to big for my tastes... They are also pretty aggressive too, aren't they?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jungles and IJs only get 5-6 feet so they are rather managable, but the coastals and diamonds can get pretty monstrous...

And no they are not very aggressive if you work with them. As babies they can be snappy but as they get older the mellow. My girl is a doll, an energetic doll but a doll none the less.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast