Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake Vs. Nepenthes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Snake Vs. Nepenthes?

I'm the proud owner of a baby Coastal Carpet Jaguar Python.

He will get to be around 9 feet long and need a fairly large enclosure. Along with the other plants, I would like to add a Nepenthes in there. This is where you guys, the nep experts, come in...

First question I have is what would happen should the little guy decide to drink out of the pitcher? Let's ignore the fact that anything I have is still years from that size While we're at it, let's also assume that the Nep can be placed in a low to no snake cruising zone so that it isn't trampled to death.

Second question. Which Nep would be best? The enclosure will be approximately 4-5 feet wide x 3 feet deep x 4-5 feet tall. Lowest possible temp will be 72 degrees F, with a basking spot in the mid 80's to possibly 90's. A night-time drop of 10 degrees could be provided in the basking area. Humidity will be no lower than 30% and most likely stay around 60-70%. Will be fluorescent lighting on top with timers.

Bonus points for suggestions that are hardy enough to withstand a little abuse and/or brings out the color of his eyes
    Last edited by IronTom; 03-02-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Well. First of all, if this is about the nep eating the snake (which I'm sure you aren't asking), it won't eat it. Second of all, I think it's completely ok for it to drink out of the pitchers. Natives of borneo and other countries use un opened Nepenthes pitchers to drink out of, so if it's harmless to humans, I'm pretty sure it'll be harmless for snakes.

As for the best nep, I suggest intermediates and easy Neps like ventricosa or sanguinea. It might even eat the nectar off the pitcher, but I'm no expert.

Hope this helps!
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a low-grower like N. ampullaria might be worth considering. I would base my choice on the assumption that, even in a low-traffic zone, the plant will occasionally have a snake crawling over it. So, something compact with multiple growth points seems ideal.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capensis - I had read somewhere that the fluid in Nep pitchers may have sedative effects on insects, but had also heard the stories of the pitchers being used to cook food and similar things. So some clarification was needed there.

seedjar - Good call on the amps! I had been thinking of planting in an out of the way spot until it was so large as to have to be on the floor. At that point maybe tie it on a stake and hope the snake doesn't decide to rip the leaves off the stalk. These pythons are climbers, so a vine could end up taking a bit of a thrashing....

How well does the multiple growth point trait of ampullaria exhibit itself in hybrids, like hookeriana?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion there is only one nep that is suited for snake enclosures. That's N.bical. A plant with fangs that drip venom, is there really any other choice?

I don't see any way a nep can harm a snake, there should be no problems with it drinking from the pitcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, Seedjar is probably right, amps may be the best choice, although a N. bical would be great...Even though it'll get very big quick.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see it now...

"Hey cool snake, will it hurt if it bites?"

"Nah, the plant has bigger teeth!"

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say any lowland nep based on the conditions and space the enclosure is going to have.

I've heard that the fluid in the pitchers is harmless until the pitcher opens, then it turns into the potentially dangerous digestive fluid. This is just what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck with the enclosure and snake, it's really beautiful.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast