Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: N.Edwardsiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    But honestly, if you had two N. klossi's just sitting around, wouldn't you try something to make more?
    If I had 2 plants sitting around and neither would flower what am I supposed to do?

If neither of my plants has a basal am I just supposed to bank that cutting the growing tip off is not going to cause the plant to crash?

The well being of the plants means more to me than making $$. Many others feel the same way.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The well being of the plants means more to me than making $$. Many others feel the same way. " - Pyro.

when your dealing with plants that are as rare in cultivation as these you'd have to practice some level of poise when it comes to what your intent with them is going to be, obviously everyone would want to cut up their plant to spread the wealth and increase their availability. ( also making money at the same time ) but that doesn't mean thats its the smart decision at this point in time...

if you cut one up and like pyro said it were to crash and die... you'd be responsible for that. and that would suck and potentially affect its availability much longer down the line...

if it was easy it'd have been done already...

just my 2 cents

-Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post

if it was easy it'd have been done already...

just my 2 cents

-Chris

And a wonderful 2 cents it is
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my general rule is i wont chop a vine that aint making basal's......know alot of others that do the same thing.....besides if all you have is 2 plants you aint able to set much of anything for a price.....with MT's to big plants even if they are making basals buy releasing a couple means they get hit hard for requests for more.....sometimes a lil extra $$ aint worth the headache it entails......i turn down printing jobs every so often because they just aint worth the head ache......i print ribbons for the local firemans ball, in our lil town the fire department is 100% volunteer.....i do the ribbons for cost of materials and my time and nothing else, refuse to do ribbons for anyone else because it is to much of a pain in the rear even though i could set the price cause so few do custom printing on ribbons, especially on short notice.......i refuse to print on file folders cause it is to much of a headache, ill take heavy stock and make printed file folders for someone but i refuse to print on file folders someone brings in cause its to much of a headache and no one is willing to pay what i quote them to do it......if all you have is two plants and they aint making basals i for one wouldnt cut them reguardless of any sane dollar offer, would just let them sit there and hope they bloom.......cutting them aint worth what lil money its going to bring in if it means i might loose the entire plant......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmm889 View Post
    obviously everyone would want to cut up their plant to spread the wealth and increase their availability. ( also making money at the same time )
    That is so not true. I know the owner of a cp nursery in the US that has Nepenthes plants that are so large you could make hundreds of cuttings from them...but the owner diligently refuses to cut even the tiniest piece off these otherwise unruly vines. Yes the plants have multitudes of basals. Yes they pretty much have all flowered. But NO....no cuttings will EVER be taken and offered for sale; and we're not talking super rare stuff here. We're talking about a grower who just isn't interested in spreading them around.

Do I care to benefit from these plants? Not in the least. Do I care that other people benefit from these plants? Not in the least. Why? Because it's the grower's right to decide what should be done with them. Not every cp grower feels the need for practicing conservancy and spreading the 'wealth' even though they KNOW the income could greatly benefit the livlihood and future of their business. Is this considered greedy? I don't think so at all. They're his/her plants to do with what s/he wishes.

Do I think this kind of practice makes sense? No, I don't. I am one of those growers who believes very strongly in spreading his plants around, rare or otherwise, specifically for keeping the material alive and in other hands in the event of a disaster. Who knows when I may need another piece back some day. But, I would never pass judgement on a grower who chooses not to. I would just talk about him/her behind their back, LOL!!! jk

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some wonderful points brought up here. A fascinating thing to read indeed. From what I read N. edwardsiana seed is probably the most fragile seed in the genus with very very specific requirements. It seems to be very hard to replicate the conditions for the seed in-vitro. I didn't know that it is in TC already. But, the rate of growth doesn't surprise me. Time and time again, I have heard how slow these plants grow. Apparently they are slower than N. rajah or N. lowii. All we can hope is atleast the multiplicity we are getting in TC would allow us to get a few plants...or few clones. I guess N. klossii is another sad situation. Heck, I am wondering why I don't see N. hurrelianna in this list here. Its one of my favourites and I feel in love with it on first sight. Its clearly better than any veitchii I have ever seen. The sad part is not all plants are the same and we can only hope that in time, some of these TC nursaries can invest more time and energy into getting these species in cultivation on a wider scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, i know of a similar grower......took me buying $120 in orchids and telling him to name his price for the cutting of one of his neps that i wanted before he would sell it to me....and you know what i believe the thing that made him agree to it?....i told him i wasnt a local and likely wasnt going to be back in his area for many years so he figured if the cutting didnt work i wouldnt be banging on his door demanding a replacement like has happened to him in the past.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "his/her plants to do with what s/he wishes. " Philcula

of course. I wasn't trying to sound as though I was "passing judgement"...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast