What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.Edwardsiana

But I don't believe that entitlement has anything to do with that at all. Who entitles whom to grow a plant? What merits entitlement?

My point is that's a really hefty word to throw around when we're discussing a simple hobby.

That's exactly my point; and I wasn't directing it anyone particular. The whole point, which is why I said "false entitlement." Just because we see something does not mean we are entitled to grow it right this second, especially at the expense of condemning others for doing what they are "entitled" to do.

xvart.

well...formally N. hurrelliana was described only in 2003. Heck jamban was described in 2006 and we already have the plant in TC. Yeah! each species is different in its behavior in TC and probably on a relative level, N hurrelliana may be very rare further decreasing the probability of finding a plant in seed for collection. Anyways..... all I can say is the future in nepenthes cultivation looks very grand for us as we are finding more and more speices every year. :) Lets just hope that the eddy, klossii and hurrelliana can be made available to public soon enough.

N. hurrelliana was offered by MT, until a couple years ago. The clone they offered was a very slow grower.

When another supplier offers them this year, I imagine it will be the usual story. Super expensive for a couple years, and then a gradual drop in price.

(BTW, I don't believe N. hurrelliana has ever been reported from Mt. Kinabulu.)

Sorry! Excuse me.... For some reason I assumed that I saw N. hurrelliana in Charles Clarke's "Nepenthes of Borneo" book..... my mistake!!

Yeah! its sad to see that MT had to cut down their operation. I hope they can come back and offer their old selection. They have some truly spectacular clones in their collection. I may be wrong...but their hamata was truly fantastic! A very dark clone with very well defined and long teeth on the peristome.

vraev,

Yes, it's a shame so many of the plants MT had in cultivation are no longer offered. But things do pop up once in a while. For example, the large N. veitchii Bario offered a couple months ago.

I wonder how many different plants they still have in culture...

Cheers,
Mac

Back