What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.Edwardsiana

Indigo

Learning How To Multiply
why is n.edwardsiana so rare? does anyone here own one?

Max (capslock) has one, and i think jmatt has one...jeremiah harris does as well

its rare cause it isnt really in cultivation......lil birdy told me atleast one lab currently has it in TC and it may become more available in the not so distant future if everything goes well............

My understanding is that it is only found in a pretty secluded area on Mt. Kinabalu, and that area is restricted to anyone without a permit of entry. A few people can get a permit to take photographs but only one group has ever gotten the permit to obtain seed or cuttings or what have you. Unfortunately, they decided to stagnate their Nepenthes program. So it's not available. Instead they just have two mature Edwardsiana plants chilling in their green house, unavailable to the general public. I think I heard they also have N. klossi as well.

Either way I find that a serious crime against nature for them to not produce seed of those plants and or cuttings. Who knows how many have been poached by obsessive Nepenthes fanatics.

There are a few in the US, whether they were poached or legit, they exist, and rumors have been going around that TC may be available someday soon.

Either way, they are my favorite plant in the world, and intend to buy one as soon as they become available, regardless of price.

Last edited by a moderator:
N.klossi looks like a N. aristolochioides hybrid.

N.klossi looks like a N. aristolochioides hybrid.

Yeah, but the only other nep in the area is a mini form of maxima. It's not any more closely related than any other nep. It is just convergent evolution.

[I think I heard they also have N. klossi as well.
/QUOTE]

Well they definitly do have a N Klosii...Cos a friend of mine went to they're nursery in sarawak and he saw them.....Anyways i heard they will be coming into cultivation or TCed by end of this year..i dunno im just thinking cos thats what i heard..

Ken

Edwardsiana is cool... but why not get a macrophylla? They're supposed to actually get bigger than eddies.

because edwardsiana is the last most wanted nepenthe on my list lolll, i think that goes for most of us? right? o-o? and eddie got more mean looking teeth

eddies are leaner and meaner IMO, but macs are the bigger of the two plants. That is, they make bigger vines and leaves than eddies. I wonder how a nursery can have rare plants and not try to do something with them to make money! They are sitting on a gold mine and care to do nothing with it!

lol i shall search every nursery in my area try to strike the gold! lol

Kent, did you mean Klossi would be in TC, or just Edwardsiana?

Indigo, you most likely will never find one, unless you live in Southeast Asia and there is some strange illegitimate Nepenthes green house around.

Anyway, I love Edwardsiana, I think it is the most beautiful plant in the world. Macrophylla cannot come close to comparing. I feel that eddies are better looking because:
A.) The seriously pronounced peristome.
B.) The size, and color.
C.) The graceful slender shape of their pitchers, almost reminiscent of a more chiseled clipeata.

Also, from what I've read (I could be wrong) Edwardsiana can get larger than Macrophylla maybe not in liquid capacity, but in length.

Gosh I need to get my hands on one of these plants, or see them in the wild.

There are currently 3 groups in the US working with edwardsiana. 2 of them have it in TC but it is not a species that propagates rapidly in TC so getting the numbers up to create a decent supply is going to take time. The 3rd group offered numerous seed grown plants a few years back and may still have some kicking around (however you better expect to drop at least $200 on it if they still have them.) [And I am not going to disclose the information on who these groups are, one is basically public record and it is not my place to out the other 2]

And on a personal note, I find it more than a little infuriating that people relatively new to the community (and for the record, I have been growing 10 years and I consider myself to be pretty new to the community) would be so critical that someone with 2 whole plants had not gone out and "flooded the world" with seed/cuttings. I was one of the first people to flower one of the clipeata clones and was not able to find anyone with another plant available to create seed with. I know of a female rajah that was bloomed and they could not find a male to cross with... Point being that 2 mature plants does not guarantee they are opposite gender nor that they are in bloom at the same time. Likewise, some plants do not strike cuttings well. I have had cutting sitting for over a year on some plants before I get any success. I am not about to carve a plant into 500 pieces if I do not know how well cuttings will strike and if cuttings do not strike well I am still not going to carve it up and have 500 cuttings doing nothing for a year or more. Might take a cutting here and there but I am going to wait for it to root before I even think of making a second cutting.

Last edited:
Hi

I meant N Klosii.......Anyways N edwardsiana should have been out by now if it wasn't for MT which took the seeds i think and were trying to TC edwardsiana.....But instead came out N edwardsiana x burbidgea...Oh well we never know when we take it from the wild.....

Ken

also kinda gotta laugh at the fact that individuals that have never run a business(in some cases have never even had a real job) want to try and dictate how others run theirs so it will benefit themselves with no regard to the owner.........

Pyro, i understand what you are saying, i think that goes as a given. But honestly, if you had two N. klossi's just sitting around, wouldn't you try something to make more? All im i saying is that they could make a good chunk change if they wanted to. Nothing more nothing less. And sure i would benefit as well, but the benefit would be 100% the companies, with the kind of prices they could set for those plants...

But honestly, if you had two N. klossi's just sitting around, wouldn't you try something to make more?

If I had 2 plants sitting around and neither would flower what am I supposed to do?

If neither of my plants has a basal am I just supposed to bank that cutting the growing tip off is not going to cause the plant to crash?

The well being of the plants means more to me than making $$. Many others feel the same way.

"The well being of the plants means more to me than making $$. Many others feel the same way. " - Pyro.

when your dealing with plants that are as rare in cultivation as these you'd have to practice some level of poise when it comes to what your intent with them is going to be, obviously everyone would want to cut up their plant to spread the wealth and increase their availability. ( also making money at the same time ) but that doesn't mean thats its the smart decision at this point in time...

if you cut one up and like pyro said it were to crash and die... you'd be responsible for that. and that would suck and potentially affect its availability much longer down the line...

if it was easy it'd have been done already...

just my 2 cents :)

-Chris

my general rule is i wont chop a vine that aint making basal's......know alot of others that do the same thing.....besides if all you have is 2 plants you aint able to set much of anything for a price.....with MT's to big plants even if they are making basals buy releasing a couple means they get hit hard for requests for more.....sometimes a lil extra $$ aint worth the headache it entails......i turn down printing jobs every so often because they just aint worth the head ache......i print ribbons for the local firemans ball, in our lil town the fire department is 100% volunteer.....i do the ribbons for cost of materials and my time and nothing else, refuse to do ribbons for anyone else because it is to much of a pain in the rear even though i could set the price cause so few do custom printing on ribbons, especially on short notice.......i refuse to print on file folders cause it is to much of a headache, ill take heavy stock and make printed file folders for someone but i refuse to print on file folders someone brings in cause its to much of a headache and no one is willing to pay what i quote them to do it......if all you have is two plants and they aint making basals i for one wouldnt cut them reguardless of any sane dollar offer, would just let them sit there and hope they bloom.......cutting them aint worth what lil money its going to bring in if it means i might loose the entire plant......

Back