Thread: Species vs hybrids in cultivation

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Species vs hybrids in cultivation

Hi guys,

Does anyone share my sadness in seeing how nepenthes cultivation is seemingly looming closer and closer towards orchid cultivation? What I mean is the fact on how increasing number of hybrids are being made and those are easier to grow + cheaper + greater availibility.
    A perfect example would be trying to find species orchids nowadays. Almost every nursery has more obscure hybrids like "mountain red" or whatever which are complex crosses. Infact, I see nursaries which carry almost nothing else apart from hybrids in the hundreds. Now species of orchids are extremely rare and very expensive: perfect example is plants like Phrag bessae or whatever, P. lowii etc etc.
    Nowdays we are seeing the same thing with nepenthes. Look at exotica plants. I don't mean to "undermine" hybrids and their potential...but you can see complex hybrids which are a total different beast in their own. Personally my cultivation of neps is to get a feeling of growing a true representative of the plant I see in the wild.
    I guess the challenge is finding two different plants flowering in the same time of the same species.

I would be interested to know what the experienced growers here feel about this.

V

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your sentiments. Personally, I just hope that there are enough conservatories and private collectors interested in preserving species to keep the various species alive and distinct. Nep culture is still a relatively young field, so with any luck enough good growers will come along to carry the genus unscathed.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you to some degree, but the development of Nepenthes hybrids has been popular since the nineteenth century and paralleled a like development in orchids -- often by the very same people . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nep culture is about as old as orchid culture....hence the "Victorian Nep hybrids".....and dont know about you guys but every year im finding it easier and easier to get ahold of a larger variety of species orchids......

you are not going to have a true representation of a nep in the wild unless you can grow outdoors in similar conditions........i drool over some photos of neps in the wild and know i aint going to provide the conditions to match that......i aint near the equator, i cant duplicate that light.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with you. I really don't want to see nothing but hybrids flying around the market. It does seem like they are getting more and more prevalent too. Often times they are crosses of species I really don't find interesting as well. Some species really need more diversity in their cultivation gene pool and I think it would be worth the work and effort to breed pure species. I'd pay more for the work too.

At the same time, there are hybrids I would totally love to see on the market, or that I could reed myself.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have to laugh.......all this talk about hybrids edging out species in the market place and in collections......of the 3 major Nepenthes suppliers.....only one relies heavily on hybrids for sale.........the other two seem pretty entrenched in supplying lots of pure species from various clones........i think you guys can take off your tinfoil hats........
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    have to laugh.......all this talk about hybrids edging out species in the market place and in collections......of the 3 major Nepenthes suppliers.....only one relies heavily on hybrids for sale.........the other two seem pretty entrenched in supplying lots of pure species from various clones........i think you guys can take off your tinfoil hats........

"Tinfoil?" That's U.S. aluminum foil, pal!
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cervid serial killer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast