What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Albo Sprouts

I got some seed from a giveaway here on TF. I've forgotten who I got them from, but thanks!

That pink/red one middle-left is a lot more colorful than the others.
IMG_5871.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

I've got about 30+ seedlings now. They are something like 6-8" under two 150W CFLs and took a few months to germinate. I've also started fertilizing about twice a month.

That's one cool thing about seeds you can find neat genes mixed in sometimes!

Congrats! They all look like they're all gonna look different.

Here are mine, from Obregon:

Nalbomarginataseedlings.jpg

Lotsa red ones! I love growing from seed!

Neato. And congratulations! Good luck. :)

Looks like you guys had better luck then me! Mine never sprouted :(

Here's mine:
IMG_1432.jpg

I still have some seeds sprouting.

frenchy, don't give up! The ones I gave you were thrown in as extras from a guy that I traded with. He recently wrote me an email saying that when he tested his out, it took 3 months before he saw his first sprouts.

Rats! I had them sitting for about 1 and a half month - 2months and slowly I was slowly loosing numbers of them to fungus which was attacking just the seeds themselves and not growing on the medium. I read too that they arent viable for long and that if they experience freezing temps then they aren't viable anymore. I figured they went bad during shipping :( Guess I'll have to try again some other time, hope you're having better luck then me though! Thanks for the update anyways :)

EDIT: Wow guess 3 months seems to be the norm, I was under the impression that 1 month was about right, that's what I get for jumping the gun!

Mine took 3 months to germinate and I almost gave up! There will be more seeds. Good thing is that neps make a LOT of seed when it all works right.

edit: Cryssytal, those look great!!!

Wow! Caps & Crissy, they look great, they've lot more color than mine have got.
And Crissy, how're you keeping yours? They're freakishly huge. :0o:

Frenchy - Sorry to hear about yours. Sounds to me like you gave up too soon. Patience is the key with nep seeds. ;)

Thanks guys! Your seedlings look great too!! So much diversity.

Chunkyhunks, so far, I'm yet to fertilize. It's out of pure laziness I'll admit it lol. They are growing in a clear container with a lid. I don't seal off the lid, it's just kind of laid up there to help prevent them from drying out so quick. The soil mix is peat/perlite/vermiculite. I put effort into not packing the mix down; it was left as loose as I could get it. It's on my third shelf on my grow rack. This is the warmest shelf. The temperatures are always 80+ during the day. It's most likely closer to 90 inside the container (I'd say 85 at the minimum). The night time temps are cooler, it equalizes to whatever the house temperature is; usually around 73. I'm thinking the only difference would be the extremely warm temperatures during the day. I do plan to fertilize them eventually with some orchid ferts. When it comes to having to mix something up....well I put it off constantly :). It won't be long and I'll have to transplant the darned things. I currently have no where to transplant them to. They are larger than the Splendiana hybrids I received several months before them. It is odd.

Crystal

Sorry for the late response, I'm lazy. It seems like your temperatures are considerably higher than mine have been, both during day and night. As we get farther into the warmer months my lowland terrarium will warm up considerably, and hopefully I'll start seeing growth similar to yours.

Back