What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedgrown N. macrophylla update thread

Upon arrival - 10/11/08
NeprackandMacrophylla002.jpg

Today - 3-24-09
Neps3-24-09002.jpg

its been a crazy 5 months...was reaaaalllly worried about it when it arrived. was all shook up on the box like a martini, and the root system was pretty destroyed...not to mention the condition of the plant. its made a very nice recovery.

Woah, big improvement. It looks like something got hungry and started eating your nep in the 1st pic, then a magical doctor, eh hem, sk, nursed it back to health :D

Ah crap. can a mod delete the d on updated - was supposed to be update.....and this post requesting them to do so when they do

Very nice. I too have received shipments in the past which looked more like wads of guacamole than Nepenthes and others -- only to have them come back in a big way.

Nasty evil little plants. Gotta love them . . .

Thanks Bella, means alot coming from the ultrahighland master and seed master like yourself :) im very proud of the results ive had from this amazing plant.
this will be its first pitcher, and another one is following. guess this will be the unveiling of whether or not its atleast a complex macro hybrid lol....so HOPEFULLY its the real deal.

Halt, thanks alot too for your comment :)

Thanks Bella, means alot coming from the ultrahighland master and seed master like yourself :) im very proud of the results ive had from this amazing plant.
this will be its first pitcher, and another one is following. guess this will be the unveiling of whether or not its atleast a complex macro hybrid lol....so HOPEFULLY its the real deal.

Halt, thanks alot too for your comment :)

Thanks for the kind comment, but I grow highlanders because I -- much like you -- live in an area that really encourages it; and after a costly failure of a ****ing heating element in a large terrarium, after a Turrets bout of expletives right out of The Exorcist, and the swift application of the Roman Ritual, I no longer grow lowland Nepenthes.

Plus, no-holds barred, highlanders are much, much cooler. C'mon, that macrophylla . . .

Thanks for the kind comment, but I grow highlanders because I -- much like you -- live in an area that really encourages it; and after a costly failure of a ****ing heating element in a large terrarium, after a Turrets bout of expletives right out of The Exorcist, and the swift application of the Roman Ritual, I no longer grow lowland Nepenthes.

Plus, no-holds barred, highlanders are much, much cooler. C'mon, that macrophylla . . .

Lol bella, thats great. Lowlanders only do well for me indoors during the summer sadly :\ im sure if i moved them to a room where i dont let it get down into the 50s or 40s, they would be fine though....maybe this will be the year for me to give it a shot

wow that is unreal !!! i m sure that N.macrophylla will reward u with ur hard work. that is huge improvment for that macro.

Thanks indigo. Though I can't really say I put any work into it...just kinda let it be, watered it and when it started to grow better I began fertilizing, which it seems to have taken really well to. I'm glad I was able to save this plant from an almost certain death.

Wow. That's a really nice recovery. Congratulations on the pitcher it's making.

the pitcher is opening!!! ill get pics once its fully open...and its got teeth! :D
hoping its a true macro and not a complex xTM hybrid >_<
cooooome on macro :D

Congrats SK keep us posted :D

the pitcher is opening!!! ill get pics once its fully open...and its got teeth! :D
hoping its a true macro and not a complex xTM hybrid >_<
cooooome on macro :D

What would make you think it could possibly be a hybrid? Juvenile plants do vary quite a bit and I wouldn't be too overly concerned. Here is my current plant (which was posted on a thread somewhere) which I know to be Nepenthes macrophylla (I have personally seen its "parents" and was there when seed was collected). The earliest pitchers, I recall, varied a bit in colour and shape from those being currently produced . . .

Nepenthes macrophylla
Nmacrophylla3.jpg

a couple people made a comment on one of the other forums claiming its leaves look like that of a young lowii (which i dont see any real resemblance at all) or an xTM....and since im not 100% positive about the source of the plant, only from the previous grower.......

and i can tell you this...this macro (here is an above shot) looks nothing like the lowii its growing right next to
macrophylla
MacroandLowii001.jpg

lowii
Neps3-25-09002.jpg

I cannot quite tell from your photograph whether your plant has "hair" along its outer leaf margins. Those leaves weren't produced for more than a year, at least in my case . . .

lol xvart, i was referring to the issue with many of the macrophylla out currently...
xTM crossed back a few times with macro etc etc etc.
im not quite sure what you mean by Point of reference: It wouldnt be complex
i know xTM isnt complex o.o
but if you crossed TM with macro and back again a few doesen times in no particular order, thats pretty complex to me :\ i know its not like 40 species in one hahaha...just 2. but youll never know the order they were crossed in

lol, I know what you meant, I was just clarifying for anyone else since a "complex hybrid" needs more than two species. Just a "point of reference," lol.

xvart.

yeah xvart i figured thats what you meant...but for all we know, it could be o.o lol

Nicely grown Kris good job

Back