User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going away for 2 weeks what to do!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you do, you might want to do a trial run first to see how long the water will last - you don't want to underestimate and find the plants dried up. Also, maybe instead of covering the whole plant with plastic, just cover the pot, which will prevent moisture evaporation, but allow the plant to breathe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    Also, maybe instead of covering the whole plant with plastic, just cover the pot, which will prevent moisture evaporation, but allow the plant to breathe.
    that might work for a week vacation, but I wouldnt trust it for two weeks..
    if you only cover the pot, but not the entire plant, the plant will still exhale lots of water out into the open air, eventually sucking all the water from the pot..I dont think covering the pot would slow down that process very much..it would only slow down direct evaporation from the soil surface..the plants normal "breathing" probably removes much more mositure from the pot than evaporation alone..

but if you encase the WHOLE plant in plastic, the air inside the bag stays very humid, the plant cant really "run out" of water because its a closed system..
    yes, you then have issues with too much moisture...but a plant can survive too much mositure far better than drying out completely..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    well here is an idea that i learn from an elementry school bio teacher. and i m sorry about my poor drawing skill i never actually use it but gimme your opinion.

first u fill RO or rain water in a bucket and then place the plants next to the bucket that filled with water and place the plant about 2 to 4 inch lower then water level, not in the water but otherside next to the bucket, please check the attachment that i drew lol don;t laugh at my drawing skill (depent on how many plant u put next to the bucket the more plant the lower the better). and then use a fiber rope to connect the water in the bucket with the soil. that will keep it perfectly water for up to a month as long as the rope r connected. but make sure u use a thick fiber rope.
    That's called the "wicking system" using capillary matting cut into strips.

I never use it though. Too involved with several dozen plants...........
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you live in the tropics? Why can't you put them outside where they will get natural rain?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this stuff about floating plants and capillary matting is unnecessary in my opinion.

David has it right - put them in trays full of water, just as you would sundews, pings, etc. It won't do much damage in the short run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all

Thanks for your replies...Well in my opinion the easiest and most convinient way would be water trays and covering them with a zip lock bag......Anyways Dex yes i do live in the tropics but my balcony does not get rain...Not all the time it all depends on where to wind is flowing..(I live in an apartment i don't trust putting my plants outside..)

Ken
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12