What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana seed for sale?

Recently, it would seem that a batch of five hundred Nepenthes edwardsiana seeds from Thailand fetched a whopping £390 (US 562.06) on eBay's UK site. Truly, an impressive amount of faith and -- more importantly perhaps -- fanaticism must be involved here. Once again, it calls into question both the behavior of a popular auction site , that of a seller, and of a buyer of a presumably protected species.The greatest likelihood, given the sheer number of seeds offered, is that they were wild-collected. . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nepenthes-edw...14&_trkparms=72:1121|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

I would be very curious to know if they really are N. edwardsiana or even viable on top of that. Of course, it would be fun to find out if you had that kinda money floating around.

As far as Ebay's "behavior" (being an auction site?), did anyone contact them and try to have the auction pulled? If not, then Ebay can't really be expected to troll every listing every day and even if they did they wouldn't know what they're looking for. They will look at and often pull a specific auction if there's any complaints over it - just get in touch with them if there's an auction you don't like.

saw the auction.....the picture was off of wiki......the seller couldnt spell truncata right in another auction......the seller only had a history of 20 some transactions......even if it went for ALOT less, i wouldnt have done it cause chances were very good you werent getting the real thing........

I would be very curious to know if they really are N. edwardsiana or even viable on top of that. Of course, it would be fun to find out if you had that kinda money floating around.

As far as Ebay's "behavior" (being an auction site?), did anyone contact them and try to have the auction pulled? If not, then Ebay can't really be expected to troll every listing every day and even if they did they wouldn't know what they're looking for. They will look at and often pull a specific auction if there's any complaints over it - just get in touch with them if there's an auction you don't like.

I was only aware of the auction after its close; and, if I am surprised at all, it stems from the fact that -- as soon as Sarracenia oreophylla or other CITES species is posted on eBay (as it did just recently) -- there is the usual critical firestorm on this and other forums overseas. The Carnivorous Plants UK site was certainly skeptical enough, at least about the provenance of the seeds. The gist among many respondents was a well-reasoned caveat emptor.

In terms of eBay limitations, there is a veritable ****load of categories and items which are outright prohibited or at least "closely" scrutinized now (particularly plant, "preserved," or other "live" materials) at any given time -- even more so in Europe (especially anything linked to . . . embarrassing associations of WWII); that this high profile item -- at least in collector's circles -- passed under the radar, perhaps says something about the growing avarice of some in this community . . .

Or perhaps I am simply hoping that some seeds find their way to a TC lab near you . . .

Before beeing an auction site Ebay is a business. They care about making money more than aything else...like most do. I many cases, if a lot of money is involved even if you file a report and explain the situation still they won't do anything about it!

ebay has some screwed up stuff its banned for sale.........they banned the sale of ALL ivory items as of Jan. 1 of this year, even the obviously mammoth ivory that does not fall under CITES, as in you can not sell a mammoth tusk.....any one on here would be able to tell the difference between a mammoth tusk and that of an African elephants the color of ivory changes when its buried in the ground for thousands of years.....the list of firearm stuff that is not allowed to be sold is more than a tad screwed up........

Wow. Probably a huge rip off, and if not, thats a bit of a travesty.

I'll wait it out for legit TC plants.

Wow. Probably a huge rip off, and if not, thats a bit of a travesty.

I'll wait it out for legit TC plants.

A travesty or a tapestry, I don't know which . . .

Back