User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pacific Northwesterner's Bornean Lowlander.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pacific Northwesterner's Bornean Lowlander.

Hey thought it was about time I gave posting pics a shot. I know it's not much but this is my pride and joy, my only Nepenthes that I have at the moment and the first that I have been able to keep alive for a going on three years now. It's had a rough existence living in Alaska, where conditions could easily be ideal for a N. villosa or less, and it's gone through one move to Oregon, where the weather isn't a whole lot better, but with the help of a repotting and a heater, it's been experiencing proper lowland conditions for about five months now. It is in the process of being moved back to AK, so I will work harder to try and get it even warmer, oh yeah, and did I mention... it needs a bigger terrarium?

N. bicalcarata "orange" colored up with a 15 watt energy saver bulb and very little natural light.

My largest pitcher ever produced, and they just keep getting bigger! This is also the deepest shade of orange/red I have seen yet on my plant (pics don't do justice)

Same pitcher. The plant has always held up to about five pitchers for me at a time. but it just decided to let go of all the puny old ones.

This is the plant getting some fresh air. Note the broken bicycle spokes I use to coerce the leaves into not hitting the glass, it doesn't always even work totally.

Finally here is a picture of the poor thing within it's dungeon. My hand to give you a size comparison of what a maturing bical has to live in.

P.S. Check out the schmitzii glands that are forming on the biggest pitcher's vine. This is a new thing for this plant. I would really like to get some of those ants, and see if it improves growth at all, there is probably no realistic way to get them though.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! My bical is exploding. I got it with a broken growing tip and it suffered for like a month but once I put it into my terrarium above a fish tank heater the thing has turned into a weed! It grew 3-4 growth nodes out of the old broken one and they are racing to be the leader. I cant wait to get little bical pitchers!

Good Luck with the move to AK.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe, very creative. I never thought of using an old bicycle spoke for a plant-brace.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gorgeous! absolutely beautiful! Id get a 100 gallon if i were you. That way you'll have LOTS of room, at least for the next 6 months.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how come my 15W light doesnt color up my plants

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I definitely want to upgrade, I'm thinking about moving it into a fifty gallon tank that I have seeing as my sandfish passed away in my absence. RIP. It will easily outgrow that too, in short notice. This plant has been growing terribly fast, a pitcher can form and open in about twenty days or so. and the leaves grow like no other. A new leaf can move away from the rosette up to three centimeters each day, it's really exciting watching it grow.

And Halt: The first pitcher was with virtually just the bulb, you can see it isn't very colored. The second pitcher grew on the other side of the plant where it got a lot of indirect sunlight, so it's got great color. When I get back to AK, I'll definitely give this plant a warmer and much brighter place in the house than it had before, even if it's NOT in my room where I can wake up and look at it.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat little...er, neat bical.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job with the plant! I'm getting my bical and an amp in just a few days...next friday or saturday actually, waiting for another plant to come in off a preorder