Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. Bugs

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. Bugs

Yes, another one of those ambiguous pest questions. I have noticed these small insects infesting the soil of nearly all my nepenthes. They are too small to get a photo of (shocker!), but, they are silver and pill shaped (longer then they are thin), move fairly quickly, and never leave the soil, except to move into other pots apparently, as they started off sparse and are now everywhere. Many of the plants have had these insects for some time, and they do not seem to be having any ill effects, other then just being there (which bothers the heck out of me.) Every once in a while I will give the pots that have it the worst a good soaking of GardenTech Sevin Ready-To-Use Bug Killer, and then flush it through with some water, which seems to do the trick for a bit, but they always come back.

So all you bug experts out there! What do you think they could possibly be? Any ideas how to get rid of them. I really don't want to do a mass Remove plants from pots, spray with insecticide, sterilize pots, repot, but since these are getting on my nerves now, I might just do it.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fungus gnat larvae? Do you have little black gnats as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. No fungus gnats at all. They are completely subterranean, if that's how you want to describe them.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....a springtail species of some kind more than likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, sounds like springtails to me if they aren't effecting your plants. They eat the gunk out of your soil and serve as food for pings and utrics. Do they jump?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my first though too, but I haven't been able to make them jump given any amount of prodding. I am just going to assume they are cleaning out the soil or something, and when its repot time, I'll make sure to give everything a liberal application of insecticide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    That was my first though too, but I haven't been able to make them jump given any amount of prodding. I am just going to assume they are cleaning out the soil or something, and when its repot time, I'll make sure to give everything a liberal application of insecticide.
    If they're springtails, you'd probably be wasting your time applying pesticide as they'll be back (& they do no harm). If they're not springtails, then you better plan on doing something much sooner than repot time ....

There are plenty of threads with pics on this forum (like this one) and on the web. Probably worth a few minutes to peruse them to see if they match ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone said put flea collars around your pots. It's worth a try.

If I were you, I'd just douse them with neem or pyrithrins. I have sooo many pests, for many of them I don't even have a clue what they are.

Today I just found MITES(!) on my nepenthes muluensis x lowii. You can bet I got em good with neem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast