Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: N. hamata progression

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are very impressive!
    I may try a N. hamata next year, but probably won't have results as good as your plants!
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-05-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the kind comments. I've always considered my setups to be 'ghetto' - as they are far from ideal ... Some of my reasons for creating this thread were 1) to show the progression of growth (people always ask the question - "How long until ...?"), 2) that it's not as difficult as many people think & 3) you don't need the perfect setup to allow some of these cool plants to prosper...

Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    I may try a N. hamata next year, but probably won't have results as good as your plants!
    Quote Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
    Wow, looking fantastic. I've never tried, but it is my understanding N. hamata can be pretty difficult.
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, for whatever reason, these plants were not difficult at all. In fact, if everyone's experiences were like mine, I would consider them beginner plants. One of them grew very well in my office terrarium - all seasons (& started with no roots at all). N. jamban & N. aristolochioides have been much more idiosyncratic in their demands - both N. hamata just keep growing through all temps and levels of abuse ...

Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Woah.....how big are the pitchers on that thing?!?
    6-7" to the top of the mouth (for most) - add another 1-1.5" to top of lid.

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    I love those community tanks - are they separate pots of plants with moss all grown in inbetween, or just a big pile of sphag around the N. hamata with various cute dews popping up?
    Typically everything is in a pot. For years, I've put a bed of live LFS in the bottom of each tank - it maintains a healthy level of humidity and acts like a visual hygrometer - letting me know when the air is too dry. I do allow a few non-aggressive plants to inhabit the LFS however. D. prolifera grows better for me as a feral plant than in any pot. In the larger (75 gal) utric tank I set up this summer, their pads are close to a nickel (& imo - look very cool - & happy). A U. humboldtii has also sent an aerial stolon down to establish a beachhead in the LFS - I'm still debating whether I might allow it .... In my office tank, I've also allowed some red D. filiformis to grow in the LFS.
    Last edited by RL7836; 12-05-2010 at 03:28 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a whole lotta N. hamata.. very nice.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-05-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectacular man!! truly spectacular!! wow!! Very very well grown.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo so toothy! Very impressive specimens.

Some of those pitchers just really show that hamata is (in my mind) technically pretty hideous!

But still.... amazing. love em all, and your set up is great, it is kind of similar to what I am trying to work towards
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. hamata is a species I'd love to try someday when I've got more experience, love the pictures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies to those who don't like to see an old thread re-used. A bunch of years ago, I raise 2 small AW hamatas. About 6 weeks ago, I received a small SG N. hamata in trade. The SG plant is growing like a weed, has added a new pitcher and is working on another. When I received the SG plant, I thought - wow, that's very different from my two originals. To confirm this, I checked the earlier pics from this thread with a current one of the SG. Here's one of the original AW plants in a 2.5" pot:

.... and here's the new plant in a larger pot:

While I cannot gauge it exactly, I suspect that the pitcher on the right (lower pic) is just a bit smaller that the left pitcher (in upper pic). Either way, the differences in proportions between the two were quite striking (to me anyway). I'll be curious to see if they converge over time...

Later edit: main difference I'm attempting to highlight is the ratio of pitcher to leaf blade size -- drastic difference (imho)
    Last edited by RL7836; 01-28-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarify exactly what it is that I'm trying to highlight...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast