What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have 2 lowland varieties that are not doing as well as I thought they would since I am in Mississippi, and 2 highland that are doing much better than I expected. I was afraid it was going to get too hot for them but they are thriving.

I am going to be ordering some extremely rare nepenthes next month and I want to be sure I am growing them properly. I have a greenhouse that is heated during the winter, although on the coldest of nights it is still staying barely above freezing even with the heater. In the summer, it is as hot as our outside temps, which reaches 100 degrees. I do not put an air conditioner in there.

Right now the highland neps are thriving and doing very well. I assume this is because the temps are still cooling off into the 60s at night and are getting into the 80s during the day. It has also been very rainy and the humidity is high right now. Soon, though, it will be too hot for them outside. I'm hoping that when this happens the lowland neps will start doing much better since they like hotter temps.

Here is what I was thinking - during the summer I should leave the lowland outside and bring the highland inside and put them in a terrarium. I also have shelving if I run out of room, and I have plenty of lighting. I keep all my pings inside on these shelves and they do very well. And then during the winter I can put the highland back outside and bring the lowland in and put them under the lights so they won't get too cold.

Does this sound good? Please give me some info if I am missing anything, because I am getting aristolochiodes, eymae, glabrata, khasiana, macrovulgaris, rajah, tobiaca, and maybe more and these are expensive and I certainly don't want to kill them.

You temp drops are the key with highland Neps, but I cant really give you much info as I only grow lowland. My temps are 80-85 during the day and go down to 75 at night. Down to 65 wouldnt hurt. This is where I grow my Khasiana, this one LOVES LOVES LOVES strong lights. I put out about 3-4 pitchers a month for me in lowland/intermediate conditions. Good luck!

Are you keeping the khasiana outside during the summer, or is it inside all the time? If it is inside, do you put it in a window or is it under lights?

I keep my Neps indoors all summer as it get too hot for them. I tried outdoors last year and they stopped pitchering and started to get leaf burn. I could have tried shade cloth but I figured indoors was simpler.

I have no access to a South facing window so I grow strictly under lights. 4 T8s, 12,000 lumens about 8-10 inches away from the plant. 16 hr photoperiod.

It just suprises me that my highlands are doing better outside in Mississippi than the lowlands. I don't get it. I have shade cloth but haven't put it on the greenhouse yet. It will still get very hot in there though. I would think that would be the perfect environment for the lowlands. I also have plenty of shelving space inside, and even some empty tanks that I could use for terrariums if I need to. I guess I will just have to experiment with that seems to work the best. I don't really want to experiment with expensive plants, though. I want to get a N. Hamata but would be SICK if I killed it.

A list of the plants you are growing now in the greenhouse would be helpful. As well as the time frame and temperature ranges they have been subject too. Some plants are not strict highland/lowland and are more tolerant than others when it comes to temperature swings. Also a temporary spell of too hot/too cold is one thing, and a plant may show no negative results. A prolonged duration to less than ideal temperatures though can cause significant problems. So it is not such a simple matter.

Low to mid 80 during the day and 60s at night are fine for many highland plants. You are correct though that they will suffer greatly when it starts getting warmer than that.

I am guessing based on the information so far that your lowland plants have simply been too cold the past few months. What is your average day and night temperature during the Winter?

Back