What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HAMATA Check!

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey Guys, I am very happy to announce that I am the proud owner or a BE Nepenthes Hamata, which I got today in the mail :D :D :D

OMG Its so cute and beautiful more than I expected!!

DSC01779.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

The Moss needs a hair cut :)

Wee Little Pitcher but has teeth!
DSC01782.jpg

cool cool, I wish I had one. That's seed grown right? Looks like a healthy little bugger. Someday I'll get one, hopefully they will go down in price eventually.

I believe that is actually one of the new BE clones, if i remember him talking about it correctly.
Though i believe the clones are from the same group of seeds that were collected for the seedgrown batch.

I don't know this one is BE- 3081!

Yep thats the clone im sure of it.
my hamatas number is BE-3280, thats the seedgrown batch.

what makes it special sk? I though the new one was more expensive?

what do you mean?
i wasnt saying anything was special.
i was saying that the seedgrown batch number is BE-3280 and the cloned batch is BE-3081
if this batch of clone plants is from the same group of plants as the seedgrown plants, it just means you have a new line of clones from a new location that arent the common AW (wistuba) clones, old BE clone, or the MT clone.
These new clones from BE, if they are from the same location as the seedgrown plants, just means youll have a new clone.

By special I meant why they gave it a different number, thanks SK

Congratulations, Carn. :D I STILL say that baby hamatas look like pings.

Different number is just used for identification purposes. You never know....if this clone of yours happens to sport red leaves and black pitchers in the future as it matures, they can track it back and this way sell it as a "special black form with red leaves". Its good that they keep record of the clones. The other advantage is maybe this new clone you have happens to be a female....then they can easily have full information on the gender, phenotype and location of these plants. it would be useful in perhaps crosses in the future.

Yeah! as SK said...it does look like a new "set" of plants from the same batch as the seedgrown offered before: I am especially looking at that red leaf.

I don't know if you saw my question of the price on OCPS Daniel....but how much did HB charge ya for it?

The numbers are for product identification. Only in a few cases do they identify specific clones or give a single clone it's own product number. 3081 is the standard green/black spotted N. hamata from G. Lumut. If memory serves correct they have 2 different clones, but don't quote me on that.

Tissue culture clones from the new location, that is currently available as seed grown plants, probably won't be available for another year or so.

Thanks for the info Tony.
how is your batch of seedgrown Hamata from the new location? im pretty sure you had a few...

thanks for correcting me Tony. :) That makes it more clear. Now....if I recall correctly, the wistuba clones are from Lamut location as well. I wonder what the difference is between the BE and wistuba clones of this N. hamata.

I thought I recall that all the G. Lumut plants in cultivation from the various nurseries all originated from one collection years back. There seems to be a fair bit of variability with coloration on the lower pitchers. Everything from green with blackish purple spots to more of a solid reddish color and not many spots. They all appear to turn green with the mature upper pitchers, but I can't say I have seen every clone out there in both stages. Years ago MT had a dozen clones so there are quite a few different plants floating around.

Now if you are asking what is the difference between the new seed grown plants BE is releasing from a different location and the G. Lumut.. that's a good question. So far the seedlings overall turn more red in the leaves than I have ever seen with the G. Lumut seedlings.
According to their website:
"The upper pitchers have less pronounced claws than the commonly circulated TC clones from Gng. Lumut and the lower pitchers are generally more robust (larger). Peristomes on mature plants are sometimes red"

I managed to find the description on my clone

<TABLE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: -15px" width=891 height=50><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 54px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>BE-3081</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; WIDTH: 132px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>Lumut, assorted clones</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; WIDTH: 373px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>Dark purple striped pitcher body and purple deeply clawed peristome. Upper pitchers green with very long peristome claws. Some medium plants may display intermediate pitchers as they are strong rooted cuttings. Small size minimum diameter 5cm or 2".</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I managed to find the description on my clone

<TABLE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: -15px" width=891 height=50><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1px solid; WIDTH: 54px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>BE-3081</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; WIDTH: 132px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>Lumut, assorted clones</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px solid; WIDTH: 373px; HEIGHT: 34px" rowSpan=2>Dark purple striped pitcher body and purple deeply clawed peristome. Upper pitchers green with very long peristome claws. Some medium plants may display intermediate pitchers as they are strong rooted cuttings. Small size minimum diameter 5cm or 2".</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2 sweet. Purple hamata. Dibs on the first cutting! ;)

I thought I recall that all the G. Lumut plants in cultivation from the various nurseries all originated from one collection years back. There seems to be a fair bit of variability with coloration on the lower pitchers. Everything from green with blackish purple spots to more of a solid reddish color and not many spots. They all appear to turn green with the mature upper pitchers, but I can't say I have seen every clone out there in both stages. Years ago MT had a dozen clones so there are quite a few different plants floating around.

Now if you are asking what is the difference between the new seed grown plants BE is releasing from a different location and the G. Lumut.. that's a good question. So far the seedlings overall turn more red in the leaves than I have ever seen with the G. Lumut seedlings.
According to their website:
"The upper pitchers have less pronounced claws than the commonly circulated TC clones from Gng. Lumut and the lower pitchers are generally more robust (larger). Peristomes on mature plants are sometimes red"

thanks for the clarification Tony. :) I always wonder of the differences between the wistuba and BE clones. My wistuba clone 2 hamata never showed any red leaves, but right beside it, my BE glabrata has red leaves.

Back