What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Magic Window!

:D

Well, it's magic enough for me, lol!

When I can grow finicky lowlanders and fussy highlanders side-by-side in low humidity, I think I can call it magic! ;)

Here is where I grow most of my Nepenthes and CPs (a few are grown outside, and my terrariums are decommissioned).

53109582.jpg

SW window plants:

53109577.jpg

53109584.jpg

S window plants:

53109580.jpg

SE window plants:

53109579.jpg

53109583.jpg

More coming soon!

Wow, that definitely looks magical.

My SW window is home to some nice Nepenthes and anything that will grow on the tray watering system, i.e. sundews, utrics, and byblis, as well as germinating seeds.

The Nepenthes, from left to right, in the SW window, are:

N. predator
N. Lady Pauline
N. sibuyanensis x (northiana x veitchii)
N. ventricosa x ephippiata
N. truncata x ephippiata
N. ephippiata

My S window is home to my most prized Nepenthes!

The Nep in the big bowl planter is N. northiana x veitchii :D
The one in the white pot is N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland'
To their left is N. 'Exotic Lady' with a five-foot vine
The small pots contain, from left to right:
N. bellii
N. northiana
N. mantalingajanensis
N. tentaculata
N. hamata
N. glabrata
N. truncata 'Pasian Highland' - dark seed-grown plant :D

My SE window is home to my newest arrivals, old reliables, and seedlings!

On the sill, from left to right, are:

N. truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides)
N. thorelii x aristolochioides
N. thorelii x campanulata
N. bellii x caranculata var. robusta
N. bellii x veitchii - H/L
N. veitchii x eymae - H/L

Very nice looking grow space there. :0o:

So what temps do they get next to the south window? And what humidity is it at those temps? I've got a ton of south facing window space I've thought of using, but it gets mighty warm when the sun hits it, and the humidity drops into single digits. But I'd guess you climate is similar to mine.

Your plants look great btw. Do you have any neps not grown by the window, ie sensitive ones?

Thanks for the comments, guys!
Now,
More pics! :p

N. ventricosa x ephippiata
53109533.jpg

N. truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides) - surprisingly dark pitchers!
53109593.jpg

Next to a N. 'Exotic Lady' upper pitcher
53109510.jpg

Intermediate pitcher
53109505.jpg

Lower pitcher
53109511.jpg

Count them, 6 pitchers, lol.
53109506.jpg

So what temps do they get next to the south window? And what humidity is it at those temps? I've got a ton of south facing window space I've thought of using, but it gets mighty warm when the sun hits it, and the humidity drops into single digits. But I'd guess you climate is similar to mine.

Your plants look great btw. Do you have any neps not grown by the window, ie sensitive ones?

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm not quite sure of the microclimates around the plants, but I know that the general area is at almost 80 degrees Fahrenheit nowadays, with about 35% ambient humidity (I'm probably estimating that higher than it actually is, though). In the winter, the direct sun heated the area up a little... now, the sun is at an angle that puts my plants mainly in shade, so they get diffused lighting, and they don't really get the temperature increase that they got in the winter.

All of my Neps are grown next to the window, except my hardiest ones, which are outside. N. flava and N. northiana (both from Wistuba) have been the most sensitive... they died on me when I had them in terrariums, probably because of their prior shipping trauma and the fact that they were fresh from TC. Now I have replacements that are doing great in front of the windows. Otherwise, I have found all of my Nepenthes to be as easy to maintain as regular houseplants!

My prized Nepenthes that reside on my S windowsill, all in 4.5" pots:

53109536.jpg

N. bellii
53109523.jpg

N. northiana
53109542.jpg

N. mantalingajanensis
53109546.jpg

N. tentaculata
53109545.jpg

53109550.jpg

N. hamata
53109547.jpg

It produces the awesomest pale yellow-green pitchers, and the peristome takes quite a while to color up even partially.
53109548.jpg

N. glabrata - see poost #50 in this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115691&page=5

N. truncata 'Pasian Highland'
53109528.jpg

These are my outdoors Nepenthes:

53109570.jpg

And I just moved these two outside:

N. sibuyanensis x (lowii x ventricosa) on the left, N. 'Miranda' on the right
53109571.jpg

That is magical, I'd be interested to see how things progress for the N. hamata in such conditions. I went to great lengths to keep it happy with night temps of 50*F and high humidity. How long have you had that plant?

OFF TOPIC: what is that succulent you have there next to the N. ventricosa in the first Outdodor Neps pic? Is it the same as this: http://www.alienflora.com/gallery/mesembsp.jpg

He's got the "Midas Touch!" Is that B. liniflora?

Swords: Thanks! I've had my N. hamata since December, and it has been doing great. The other day (about a week ago) I dropped a small pot on the growth tip... so its next few leaves will be beat-up looking, but it hasn't skipped a beat at all. The leaves are unfurling at their normal pace.

That succulent is a normal Lowes Haworthia cooperii... mine didn't make any seed after it flowered prolifically - did yours?

Jim: Lol, thanks! Yes, those tall dewy plants are B. liniflora; I also have a few stunted ones that are growing in my N. ephippiata pot. They have three possible factors working against them: lower light, germination and growth in winter conditions (they germinated in November/December), and the fact that I added some NM mountain soil and mosses to the pot, so things should be less airy, more dry, and more basic in terms of media. I mainly did that as en experiment, though.... And since I have several other towering Byblis growing in pure LFS, I'm happy, lol. :D

VERY nice! I wish I had a magical window of hope and wonders...

Hey Jimmy, what kind of racks are those and where did you find them?

Hi Nightsky,

Those racks are just some cheap standard organizing ones from Wal-Mart (or was it K-mart?). They're just there to provide me with extra 'sill space. They really should be about 6" or so taller, to be even with or taller than the windowsill, though.

Back