Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone growing N. Northiana?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone growing N. Northiana?

I've been trying to find out some information on N. Northiana, and have actually turned up pretty empty handed. There are some old posts on here regarding it, but none of them have too much information on cultivation. From the few places I have read, all I can gather is that it is rather difficult. Maybe this is why there is no information out there? Anyhow, I just wanted to see if anybody here had any information on the conditions they provide for it, etc. I find it a captivating species, but think it might be a bit over my head with only a few years of Nepenthes experience under my belt and my thrown together setup.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost got one not too long ago but chose another Nep instead. It took me a while to find anything real helpful on it.

All that I was able to come up with is that its roots are finicky when compared to other Neps. Peat is not a recommended addition to it's soil, why? I have no idea, I'm assuming it has something to do with root rot. Clearly a lowlander, and as far as difficulty it doesnt sound like it's an impossible plant to grow but it can be a little more challenging. Good luck with your hunt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything and anything you ever wanted to know about growing N. northiana successfully by Jeff Shafer. From Vol. 32 of the CPN. So here is my plug for the ICPS. If you are not a member you should be! It is well worth the annual fee.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...32n2p49_51.pdf

btw the peatmoss thing is nonsense.. Most issues with poor growth are related to improper temperature and or light level.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a number of years, growers in Singapore and Malaysia struggled to have N. northiana thrive in media with just peat and sand or sphagnum moss and perlite. Plants in such media were slow-growing, pitchered randomly and prone to root rot.

At first, we thought the main difference was drainage. But having varied the peat/sphagnum/sand/perlite mix and watering routine, we did not get much better results. Apparently, burnt earth did the trick. Burnt earth is fire-kilned red clay, chunky and has excellent drainage. The media is meant for ornamental plants and contains loads of minerals.

Now, almost all of the growers have the species potted in burnt earth...or at least a mixture of burnt earth (70-80%) and peat/sphagnum moss (20-30%). N. northiana plants in burnt earth produce pitchers consistently and readily in ambient lowland conditions...and put out rapid growth year round.

N. campanulata, N. merrilliana and N tomoriana were other species that used to struggle here but not anymore.

More discussion found here.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been growing my N. northiana in a mix 60% live LFS and fine orchid bark for the past 1-1/2 years and is doing great. I have to give kudos as Tony mentioned the article in the ICPS newsletter. Great info on growing this species, especially in regards to lighting requirements. Mine has gone from a small 2" plant to well over 6" now. Also it has pitchered on every leaf now making 4-5" pitchers. I have not had any problems with root rot but I do not water it per se/just let the misting system provide water. I think the main thing is lighting and high humidity. Again as Tony mentioned the ICPS article is full of helpful info. This is my second N. northiana as my first died due to poor /wrong conditions/very weak clone. The one I have now is a BE clone and very vigorous.
    I do not have access to "Burnt Earth" media/would love to try on some of the more finicky plants.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It seems to me that I should try and get my humidity issues under control before I take an attempt at this plant. The hard part is always trying to make your conditions jive when the plant you want is available. I am positive I could meet temperature requirements, but my humidity generally fluctuates between the mid 50s and low 20s, which is okay for some plants, but doesn't seem to be great for Northiana. Does anybody know if Burnt earth is something available at your local garden center, or if it is something you need to order from a special provider? Hopefully I can try and get some more stable conditions in order to try my hand at this beauty.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know if Burnt earth is something available at your local garden center, or if it is something you need to order from a special provider?
    i would think Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil would be a good substitute.....im guessing by burnt earth they mean fired clay......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rattler's right...the closest is APS, fired clay. But burnt earth is the dirt cheap version. Full of dirt and cheap, less than USD$1 for a 7kg bagful. ]

The reason why burnt earth is useful is probably because it originates from south east asia in the first place. The mineral contents wouldn't be too much of a difference as the natural soil found on forest grounds. But because it is fire-kilned, it makes the chucks porous and kills off the bugs etc.
    Cindy

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast