What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently took some time off of work to relax and take care of some things that needed to get done in the greenhouse. With this time off, I also had the fortune of visiting Steve Duggins' greenhouses. While there, we met up with Ed Read, greenhouse manager at CSUF (Cal State University Fullerton). He was very generous and gave us a private tour of the CSUF greenhouses. The place was amazing, and filled with many carnivorous plants as well as various other interesting plants.

CSUF:

Mixta 'Sanguinea': A very nice plant with large pitchers:
MaximaxSanguineaCSUF.jpg

Rafflesiana:
RafflesianaCSUF.jpg

Bicalcarata:
BicalcCSUF.jpg

Rafflesiana x Maxima (or the reverse, can't recall)
RaffxMaximaCSUF.jpg

Maxima x Veitchii (I think...):
MaxxVeitchiimaybe.jpg

Steve Duggins' plants:

His great looking Thorelii x TM:
DugginsThorxTMpitcherclump.jpg

Chaniana x Veitchii (someone was asking for extra pics of this cross in the chat box, and mine doesn't look that great right now:
DugginsChanianaxVeitchiipitcher.jpg

A light clone of Sib x TM:
DugginsSibxTMlightpitcher.jpg

Steve has way too many plants to post all the pics I have here. And I really liked how clean and organized his greenhouses are:
Dugginshalfgreenhouse.jpg

My Plants:

A Muluensis x Lowii that's looking pretty good. It has some really nice yellow stripes on a dark maroon peristome:
MuluensisxLowiiPitcher.jpg

MuluensisxLowiiPlant.jpg

Maxima x Thorelii
ThoreliixMaximaxxTMPitcher2.jpg

ThoreliixMaximaxxTMPlant.jpg

Truncata x TM. This plant is from Mike Ludwig. Unfortunately the plants I have from EP's most recent release of this cross don't seem to have any peristome striping, but i'm hoping they will when they mature some. Has anyone had any with striping at a small size?
TruncxTMpitcher.jpg

A really cool unknown hybrid I received from Mike. Unfortunately this plant has some sort of disease but I think it's making a comeback. This pitcher is a little asymmetrical in the peristome, but once the disease is gone it makes some awesome pitchers with even wider peristomes:
Unk3pitcher2.jpg

It has a nice dark color under the lid:
Unk3pitcher.jpg

Unk3wholepitcher.jpg

My Ventricosa x TM. I think it's getting ready to flower. My largest Izumeae x Truncata is also flowering. These are a couple parents I would be interested in trying my hand at hybridizing at. I have a few other plants already in flower, or beginning to flower, so hopefully I can give it a shot. I'll have to come back here for some advice :).
VentxTMpitchers.jpg

VentxTMWholeplant2.jpg

Love that raff x maxima pitcher. Stands like a tower!

Jason

Incredible, I can't even pick a favorite. They're all too good.

very nice plants Daniel.
Yeah, my truncata x xTrusmadiensis has striping on the peristome...strange that yours doesnt.

Great pics. Thanks for posting them. One can never see enough nep pics!

:rookwoot: This is just AWESOME!

I've never seen so many striped peristomes in one thread!

Looks like your Muluensis x Lowii experiences a lot of high light levels. Mine isn't doing so well right now. Any general tips?

Great looking pics by the way!

Beautiful plants and great pics, That Thorelii x TM is the coolest one Ive ever seen, love those dark purplish pitchers.

Glad you all enjoyed the pics :). Thanks for the comments.

@Kristoff: Yeah I ordered a few of them too, and not one of them has any striping. Oh well, hopefully they turn out nice nonetheless.

@Jeff: At first I was growing Muluensis x Lowii in a water-logged medium, but I have since changed it. Unfortunately all I had around was the large chunk Orchid Bark at the time, so that's all it is. I water every day though so it's actually a nice perfect damp with a lot of open space. As for light, it receives some early morning direct sunlight and then shade throughout the day. I have a 50% aluminet shadecloth over my greenhouse, and it is on the second shelf beneath another shelf with plants on it, so it is quite shaded. I highly recommend an open mix. I've actually been taking a lot of time lately to repot all my plants in net pots with shreadded cedar, large chunk perlite, and pumice.

Great picture! I just love that raff x maxima (or vice versa) pitcher. I really like those TM crosses.

Here's some more raff x maxima aka rafflexima (Actually, I just made that up).
lower:
P1040867.jpg

upper:
P1090924.jpg

Daniel: Here is the first pitcher to open on my truncata x xTM, this opened up a few weeks after arrival.
CPs6-10-09003.jpg

It currently has another pitcher on the way, i hope it too has striping
6-13-09011.jpg

Nice, Kris. It looks like it´s doing great with you.

Very nice plant Kristoff :). That striping is going to look real nice when the plant grows up. Unfortunately I ordered like 6 plants of the same cross and not one came with a striped peristome. I'm hoping the striping will show up as the plants grow up some, but I think if they were going to be striped they would have showed it already. So how's the greenhouse coming along anyway?

Daniel

Back