Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ephippiata Looking Sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Go up to the address bar of the new browser and press enter they will load.
    Ah, I see them now. You can see mine here about a year ago. (the only nep besides sanguinea) http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3977/1010984ir9.jpg

As you can see, it pitchered very well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    That might be it. With more light, the plant doesn't need as much surface area for photosynthesis. If there is a lot more light, which you suggest, that could be why the leaves are dramatically smaller.

xvart.
    I can understand that, but that wouldn't explain why the pitchers are suffering too, would it?

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not sure its the light xvart my plant did this exact same thing, and i mean exact, after arrival when i got it. infact i could have sworn that was my plant photographed, it looked 98% identical. and still kinda does.
    i would definitely go with some form of transplant shock because mine was sent bareroot and dropped from 3 inches down to about an inch and a half. now has two nodes activated on the side + the main growth though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see mine here about a year ago. (the only nep besides sanguinea) http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3977/1010984ir9.jpg
    Nice.

Perhaps it is the extra light causing the leaves to shrink as xvart suggested and with the extra heat there is less humidity causing the pitchers to shrivel? Just a guess.

I have read that increasingly smaller leaves can be caused by root rot as well which is why I suggested the media being water logged and/or rotted. It was hard to tell from your pic, but it did look rather dark. But the peat perlite mix explains that.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    I can understand that, but that wouldn't explain why the pitchers are suffering too, would it?
    Yeah, I forgot you mentioned that in the original post. I'd go back to transplant shock; regardless, as long as the new leaves look good I wouldn't be too worried.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine never really had transplant shock, but I think my conditions are slightly different so I will have to defer to the experts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Yeah, I forgot you mentioned that in the original post. I'd go back to transplant shock; regardless, as long as the new leaves look good I wouldn't be too worried.

xvart.
    I guess so. It's so disheartening though. In a year, the plant's diameter barely increased, and now it's shrunk down smaller than when I got it!

Jason

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal opinion is that it is in stress. It is not normal for every newer leaf to become smaller and smaller. That generally relates to heat stress...but in this case, i don't know if maybe media may be invovled as well. Personally I don't use peat for a nepenthes media...especially highlanders, but perhaps others might have a different opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    My personal opinion is that it is in stress. It is not normal for every newer leaf to become smaller and smaller. That generally relates to heat stress...but in this case, i don't know if maybe media may be invovled as well. Personally I don't use peat for a nepenthes media...especially highlanders, but perhaps others might have a different opinion.
    Most of the time I go for a perlite/sand/orchid bark/peat mix. That has worked rather well for most of my plants. The mix for the ephippiata was a bit different with the LFS and all. If it is the media, would you recommend trying to repot again into media I have more success with?

Jason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast