Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ephippiata Looking Sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it is the increased light causing the odd growth. Most likely it is either a temperature problem (perhaps from the new light fixture), pest problem, or unhealthy root system problem.

The plant is clearly struggling badly and on it's way out unless something changes. Careful unpotting and repotting will not worsen the situation much. If it is indeed a root/mix problem then a change to fresh mix of a different type can help immensely.

Personally I would do away with sand and peat in your Nepenthes mix and lean towards the fir bark, perlite, lfs in roughly equal proportions.

You should be able to rule out root system issue pretty quickly by doing a repot. There will either be happy healthy roots there or there won't!
    As for the potential pest issue.. Really hard to say for sure. Mites and thrips are biggest culprits when you get tiny, kinda deformed new leaves.. both are hard to see as well. The old leaves look a bit odd in color, which leads me towards perhaps a case of mites. Are the undersides of the leaves kinda golden brownish? Mites will eventually damage the undersides so they turn brown. The youngest leaves will be green underside and get progressively more brown as you move to the oldest leaves.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I examined the leaves, and the older ones do have browner undersides, while the younger ones are more green.

I decided to attack from every possible angle. I moved the plant several more inches from the lights, repotted into a much airier mix, and applied a liberal coating of bayer 3-in-1 insecticide. With any luck, one of those things will do the trick.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep us posted.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    I decided to attack from every possible angle. I moved the plant several more inches from the lights, repotted into a much airier mix, and applied a liberal coating of bayer 3-in-1 insecticide. With any luck, one of those things will do the trick.
    Possibly not every angle .... what is the active in the Bayer pesticide? It may not have activity against mites since mites are not insects .... Probably a bit late but you might want to check out the Ortho products - I believe they are effective against both insects and mites ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron i believe the bayer 3 in 1 has merit in it?
    which a good friend of mine uses on all of the pests you could possibly get to great outcomes.
    merit can be quite expensive on its own, but i know for sure one of the bayer products has it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Possibly not every angle .... what is the active in the Bayer pesticide? It may not have activity against mites since mites are not insects .... Probably a bit late but you might want to check out the Ortho products - I believe they are effective against both insects and mites ...
    The Bayer 3-in-1 is for insects, mites, and diseases. It's served me very well in the past.

Jason

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123