Thread: Help Temper Tantrum

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Help Temper Tantrum

Hey guys,

Its officialy summer here in Toronto, and my Highland nepenthes are throwing temper tantrums. Eg: not pitcher, slowing pitchering down, losing pitchers etc.

Can anyone tell me a good way to cool down my terrarium? I tried Ice bottles, but they don't work very well, because they melt quickly. I can't bare to lose my brand new Hamata because of the warmer temps. Please help!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can manage it, simply remove the lid from the tank and mist frequently by hand. Alternatively, you can get gel ice packs of various sizes and place them inside. They last far longer than ice bottles . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll try the gel icepacks, since the lid and lighting system are one whole thing. Thanks bella!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try a computer or hand-held fan if you don't mind lowering the humidity.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up yellowdarts suggestion by a bit and you've got this baby:

http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-aq...-radiator.html
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowing the specifics about what kind of temperatures we are talking about, both inside and outside the terrarium during the day and night, it is difficult to evaluate and recommend specific solutions. Whenever you ask for help to correct a problem, do yourself and those trying to help, a favor, and give as much information as possible.

What are your current temperature ranges?
    What temperatures are you trying to maintain?
    What kind of lights do you use?
    Is the grow chamber open or closed?

What makes you so certain it is temperatures that are causing problems? What other plants are we talking about besides N. hamata? You mention the N. hamata is brand new. What about the others?. Maybe they are just in transition trying to reestablish themselves.

Photos may help as well...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as long as it is cool at night. you wont have to worry about day temps much. my terrarium hovers around 85*F during the day. the glass is about 1/4in from the light tubes so it heats up. however. at night it drops to 65-70*F. i grow plants such as tentaculata, ephippiata, lowii, izumiae, aristolochiodes and heliamphora. all have been growing like this for almost 2 years now. they grow well and dont really turn away from how their normal growth rate stands(ie lowii is still really slow and tentaculata is pretty fast)

tentaculata and hamata are pretty darn similar(if not, the same species!) while i have never grown hamata, people who grow both say they grow them the same. some people have perfect highland conditions and others are a little warmer. those people still get very good results. hamatas arent really these babies made of thin glass from what i have heard. even when small. they grow fast and will get to a decent size quickly. some people just have bad luck. the key is consistency though.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temperature ranges now go up to 30 degrees in the day, and drop to 24 degrees these are the latest. I'm trying to maintain Highland Conditions
    13W Fluorescent lights
    Closed

The species are N. Lady Pauline, N Spectabilis x aristolochioides, N. Muluensis x Lowii, Heliamphora Minor, Truncata Pasian. Only the ampullaria has done better. Only Hamata and Truncata are new enough to be suffering shock etc. The rest are several months older.

They were all pitchering, but slowed down and the lady pauline lost some ptchers. Tehy never skipped a beat in the winter time, but now they just don't want to do much, also i can physically feel my room is hotter.

-Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast