What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would like to try my hand at producing some Nepenthes seed, and I was wondering if I could get a confirmation on this Izumiae x Truncata. I used to cut all my flower stalks off because I didn't have the space/time for seeds, but now I wish to give it a shot. If this is in fact female, I should have some males in bloom but I may be willing to trade for some pollen if someone is interested. Anyhoo, I have also included a couple random pics that I took recently. Thanks in advance for the help :).

IzumxTruncafloweropening.jpg

Some pitchers off the plant, though these are lighter uppers.
IzumxTruncatapitchers.jpg

Talangensis x Veitchii
TalangensisxVeitchiipitcherpink2.jpg

TalangensisxVeitchiipitcherpink3.jpg

Ventricosa x TM (couldn't get a decent pic, but this pitcher is huge).
VentxTMperistome.jpg

A random pic of a Ventricosa x Ephipiata settling in nicely. I had this plant on the bottom rack and some maxsea fertilizer washed into the pot from the plants above and this thing is doing great. It really helped the live LFS explode and the plant looks happy.

VentxEphipiataplantpot.jpg

Fantastic Daniel! Sure looks female to me. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope I can trade for some seed with you - I should have some seed of my own coming up soon.

I would love to mix my male campanulata with that.

Looks female to me too, congrats!
my male spectabilis 'north sumatra' BE clone is coming into bloom, let me know if you want the pollen. should be starting to open flowers within the next 2-3 weeks.

I third that it's a girl. :) Lucky you. Hope you get a very nice cross. :D Beautiful Neps as always.

Looks male to me ;>

It's either that or I just want to be different!

Fantastic plants Daniel. Wow!!! EP truly makes some wicked choices for hybrids. Although I would like to see them propogate some of their stock for species seed grown.

the shape of the flower stalk fits more male if i remember right they are more pointed, but the shape of the buds looks a little more female...
we will know in a weeks time though i guess LOL

Perhaps its a hermaphrodite :D

I have a Red Dragon sending up a flower stalk right now. I think that it's a male. We can wait and see, let me know if you're interested! Never know, could get some dark Truncata looking thing!!

I say male, but hell, I've never even had a nep flower before ;D. Congratulations!
So far people on the east coast are saying male, people on the west coast are saying female.

take off one bud and cut it open. if you find an underdeveloped sphere, its a guy. if not, its a girl! post pics too so we can help. :)

*Is on the east coast*

I think its a female, you can see the stigmas i think.

I'm in the male camp. The side view of the lower bud looks round to me. I've got a couple of females in bloom right now = sib x vent - red giant and alata giant. It'll probably be too late when yours blooms, but I may have something else by then. Are you open to conjugal visits?

Thanks for the input and the comments everyone! I am hoping it's a female as well, however there seems to be some dissent. The picture is a few days old, so next time i head to the greenhouse I will take some more pics. As soon as I know for sure, and get those other pics, I would definitely be interested in any pollen someone is willing to send me. I can either trade cuttings for the pollen, or some of the seeds it produces.

Hey Steve! If it is indeed male, I would definitely like to take you up on your offers. Any cross is fine for me, since this will be my first time. Perhaps I can pick your brain for advice as well.

Thanks again everyone! (I'll definitely try to share as much of the seed as possible with those that are interested. I have a bunch of other flowers spiking, and it seems that at any time of the year, something is blooming, so hopefully I can share with everyone that is interested.)

I've seen your greenhouse. You'll be lucky to avoid some mass orgy with all those blooming plants I've seen, and you have plenty of females in there - thorelii x TM for one!

Haha... how right you are Steve. I had cut down so many flowers lately that I didn't think i had many left. It turns out they're all sprouting up again as usual.

Here's the Izumiae x Truncata again, all pics taken today:
IzumxTruncFloweredwholeplant.jpg

and the flower on it:
IzumxTruncflower2.jpg

Ventricosa (Red) x Talangensis (male?):
VentredxTalangflower.jpg

Ventricosa x TM (male?):
VentxTMflower.jpg

Ventricosa x Truncata (male?)
VentxTruncataflower.jpg

Unknown hybrid i grow outside (male?)
Unknownoutdoorflower.jpg

Any help/confirmation on the plants is much appreciated!

they all look male except the ventricosa x TM, and I've got a sib x TM male in bloom. Might be an interesting cross.

Back