Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maxsea Fertilizer on Nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a crazy thread! I have used MaxSea, at full strength (1 tsp/gal) for a couple years at least now on all my nepenthes. They grow like crazy! Nothing dies like you describe, or becomes deformed. I use it on my N. edwardsiana! I use it on my new N. albomarginata seedlings barely a half a centimeter wide.

I know a few MAJOR retail growers that use it because it works so well. So this is mystifying to me. I'd submit that for the safety of your plants you should make sure it wasn't something else that caused the problem, but at the same time I'm not challenging your story.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using MAXSEA 16-16-16 at the rate of 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water 2 times per month on every nep in my collection from 1/2 inch seedlings to fully mature plants for about 2 years now with excellent results. I highly recommend the product and have turned many folks onto it and they have all had the same excellent results that I have seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many individual factors that can influence the results you achieve. It can't be stressed enough that what works exceedingly well for one person or even a dozen people may have just the opposite effect for another. Cultural conditions such as temperature, light levels, potting ingredients, application method, water quality and method of application as well as amount, can all have a profound impact on results.

I hope you all have read the sticky thread in the Nepenthes forum on fertilzing. I started it 6 years ago and while many of the links to photos are shot.. the information contained is still very valid. Yes there are alot of posts there. But if you are serious about learning and improving your personal results with Nepenthes cultivation regarding feeding your plants, you won't turn around and say 'you expect me to read all that?'. You would be amazed how many people over the years have done exactly that after I told them they should read the sticky then come to me with questions!!

Suffice it to say: Nepenthes do better, a whole lot better, if you feed them. Exactly how you feed them though is a matter of personal choice in what works best for you and your personal environment and cultural practices. While it is possible to do alot of research on what has and hasn't worked for others, the trial and error to discover exactly which methods are best for each individual, falls on that individuals shoulders and noone elses. Whenever trying something new, that goes beyond the scope of tossing some crawly critters or fish food into the pitchers, it is always best to start slowly and with a few plants that are expendable, followed by careful observation and adjustments as necessary to achieve the results you are looking for.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Maxsea now for 2 YEars without any Problems. I use it every 2 weeks with full strenght. Even small and fresh germinating seedlings, Heliamphora and Cephalotus plants get this and all like this.
    It just have one negative effect and it is that the plants grow sometime to fast
    My soil is sometimes pure sphagnum or a cedar/sphagnum/charcoal mix and i do not longer flush the pot since 6months

I believe it is importanbt to let dry out lfs medias and the use of mesh pots
    Jens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post

Suffice it to say: Nepenthes do better, a whole lot better, if you feed them. Exactly how you feed them though is a matter of personal choice in what works best for you and your personal environment and cultural practices. While it is possible to do alot of research on what has and hasn't worked for others, the trial and error to discover exactly which methods are best for each individual, falls on that individuals shoulders and noone elses. Whenever trying something new, that goes beyond the scope of tossing some crawly critters or fish food into the pitchers, it is always best to start slowly and with a few plants that are expendable, followed by careful observation and adjustments as necessary to achieve the results you are looking for.
    another thing to keep in mind is there is such a thing as a bad batch.......i had a new bottle of pyrethrins that i normally use for pests fry a hamata.....though i have used pyrethrins on the plant with no ill effects in the past.....same brand, everything......b ut something was off with that batch and not only fried my hamata but also a few much tougher house plants......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add that I have never heard of any fertilizer causing deformed leaves. Chemicals such as fungicides or insecticides can certainly cause deformed growth for a time. Damage from pests or diseases is another possibility. Overfeeding or feeding with too strong a concentration can cause burned plants or large leaves with small pitchers or no pitchers. Perhaps there is something else going on and by coincidence with the timing of your fertilization you are attributing your current situation to the fertilizer?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the stuff for over two years and at the full-strength and there is a tricky balance to learn before going all-out with the stuff.
    I water with a glass or two of the fert, and a few more without only every so often (once a month if even?)
    and regular water every fourth day (give or take according to season)

Use too much and you get big, green floppy leaves with no pitchers. By doing that though you can give them harsher light it seems. Never seen truely deformed leaves as a result from over-fertilizing though.

With lfs, if the stuff isn't live and growing and you overwater it will get soggy. Fertilize too much on top of that and it will get some slimy algae. When the stuff is live and growing and you fertilize, the moss will grow like gangbusters and could cover small Neps quickly.

For mixes that aren't well drained, you could get that algae on the surface, but that probably means that the media is not well-drained enough as it is.

I'm thinking that the media is not well-drained enough, too wet & waterlogged and the rising temps of Summer from Spring and maybe possible pests/diseases are the main culprits with the fert just adding algae and making it look worse.

I'll stand by Max Sea... it's good stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am "Old School" as far as fertilizing goes for my CP's. I don't fertilize with any chemicals. I do fertilize/feed all my Neps twice a month with live insects ( crickets or roaches ). Mother nature provides the best fertilizer/food for CP's especially Neps. It can be very time consuming to feed every Nep pitcher twice a month but I enjoy it, and the plants grow better because of it. At least I think they grow better; might be in my own mind.
    There are many on this forum who fertilize and have great results. I have thought about using one of these organic based fertilizer after veiwing the results but have decided if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast