What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Terrarium Type Matter

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
I was wondering if it would be better to have a planted terrarium with neps and sundews (i mean like everything in the ground) or for them to be in pots. I'd rather have them in the ground, would this be ok?

I was wondering if it would be better to have a planted terrarium with neps and sundews (i mean like everything in the ground) or for them to be in pots. I'd rather have them in the ground, would this be ok?

In ground is do-able, but usually not recommended. Keeping everything in pots is a lot more practical.

Say you think one of your plants develops a fungal infection; you'll want to have quick access to it to separate it from the rest of your collection. If all of your plants are in the ground, it would involve having to uproot the plant while possibly disturbing other plant's roots for what could be no reason at all. You'd then have to repot the plant into the terrarium and wait however long it takes for the plant to acclimate.

The main turn off to me, however, is you can't take any of your plants out and look at them or show them off to other people.

I would maybe leave them in a pot in the ground, but more likely just in. I would try my best with it. also, i have three ventricosas, so i'd have a test plant.

planted terrariums only really work with neps if you have substrate layers. rocks on the bottom, smaller pebbles on top of that, smaller pebbles, mix(like LFS and cypress mulch) and then a top layer. you have drainage but some water is still retained. it can be pretty complex to set something like that up so just go with pots in like mine here.
(newer picture)
102_0082.jpg

(old picture)
100_0240.jpg

as stated. potted terrariums allow you to show off your plants and take them out or isolate one if it is infected by something. you could have it half and half kinda like what it did where you have damp LFS on the bottom of the tank. this increases humidity and also visual appeal to just plain glass.

Alex

Nice tank Alex. How are ya doing man? Been a while since I have seen you around. You decided about taking that setup to the dorm?? :)

been doing good =] i dont think ill be able to take anything. i have to consider my roomie too. if anything ill take something small like my aristo or lowii. its ok though. i have plenty of people they are going to!

Alex

That's a kind sentiment, Alex, but watch out and don't get too soft - the newly-out-of-mom's-house college crowd is not known for their consideration of others. :D
~Joe

i figure haha. no mercy =]

well, if it's a potted-landscape terrarium(i mean by having pots in the soil) should i water the pots or the soil? cause if i water the soil, it would get to the pots, right?

Probably better to water the pots directly when you can, particularly for the wet-loving species. I've successfully grown small Neps with a sort of "tray" method in a potted/landscaped tank, but I think it may be too dry for the preferences of, say, some Drosera. Depends a lot, of course, on where you keep the water line. Also, watch for spreading Utrics.
~Joe

Another i'm considering is just putting it in the tank itself. Would i need a small egg grate layer above a water reservoir to increase humidity, or is just setting them in the bottom ok? i would prefer egg grate, but it would be harder to...

Back