Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hybrids You're Looking Forward To

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrids You're Looking Forward To

So one of the things I often daydream about is what hybrids I would make between nepenthes if I could. I'm probably not the only one here who does that. In fact, I know I'm not. There was a similar thread not too long ago. But not many people gave a lot of explanation for their crosses. So in this thread, I thought you might enjoy putting down some hybrids you're looking forward to and why. Put some thought into it people!

First up is N. villosa x rafflesiana

I think these two plants would go very well together. Of the particularly toothy neps, villosa seems to make rather nice teeth along the vertical part of the peristome that leads to the lid. Many of the raff clones, especially the giants I've seen floating around also seem to have the tendency to make significant toothy projections in that area. I suspect/hope that would help the villosa's teeth come through. Also, crossing an ultrahighlander with a lowland plant would result in a nice, happy intermediate.

Next is N. burbidgeae x ramispina

Alright, this one is more of an experiment. Ramispina makes elegant near-black pitchers. Burbidgeae has nearly white coloration. I'd like to see how that plays out (gray plant? lol). I don't think it would result in a bad hybrid in any case though.

N. burbidgeae x merrilliana

Yeah, this is basically just an attempt at making a nice intermediate N. x alisaputrana. For those who don't know, alisaputrana is the natural hybrid between rajah and burbidgeae. I find it to be a very nice cross. Merrilliana is often regarded as the lowland rajah, and can get just as big. So now you have a near-ultrahighland nep crossed with a lowland nep, resulting in a nice intermediate.

The last one I can think of now is N. aristolochioides x talangensis

I noticed on my maxima x talangensis That the talangensis sort of lent a rounded, hunchbacked shape to the pitcher. I predict that the bulbous shape of talangensis would help preserve the shape from aristolochioides. And of course, the talangensis would lend beautiful coloration.

I came up with another one today that I thought would just be the bee's knees, but I can remember it for the life of me. Oh well, I'll sleep on it.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I think the hybrids I'm looking for is Izumiae x something to make a hybrids with dark colour ( I love dark colour)
    But popular is something x truncata like veitchii x truncata, izumiae x truncata, lowii x truncata, ... are popular wiht large pitcher shape and specical some how it still can keep the colour and shape of the species which cross with truncata.
    My grow list
    For advertise !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see a hamata x lowii. The lowii would add some nice coloration to the hamata, and the hamata would make the already toothy lowii a bit more vicious. But I'd really like to see the uppers... lowii's classic hourglass shape added to hamata's extreme toothiness should make a pretty crazy pitcher.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    already toothy lowii a bit more vicious
    huh? the lowers arent hardly toothy, raff and densiflora are much more so and the uppers pretty well lack any peristrom
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. x((TM x macrophylla) x hamata) x edwardsiana

Long and toothy. What's not to love?

Talk about a fantasy cross...
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hairy N. hamata x mirabilis var. echinostoma. Should be quite a sight peristome wise and would hopefully be lowland compatible. Perhaps backcrossing to hamata would give you a near clone of hamata while allowing for lowland conditions.

Oh, and rajah x merriliana. Does this one need an explanation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (lowii x edwardsiana) x (lowii x hamata)

Lowii shaped uppers with huge pitchers and nice toothy peristome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of hybrids in mind, lol.

But I'm sure a hybrid we're looking forward to in the far future is a hybrid of all species. It would look pretty interesting. :P ...One can dream...
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast