Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neps in household environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't try viking there, its got paper thin leaves and I'm not sure how it would react to those conditions... Singalana likes it pretty humid too, but its worth a shot. I think the rest should do fine without a problem.
    Cheers from Florida

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks SK!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Those will all adapt without problems.

Once acclimated, Nepenthes are generally fine with low humidity.
    not quite.....there are neps that do need high humidity to grow and there are a whole bunch that will grow fine in low humidity but WILL NOT PITCHER, veitchii is a good one for this.......been there done that, my household humidity is under 20% for atleast 7 months a year....

neps ive gotten to pitcher in low humidity: ventricosa, Ventrata and Miranda, though miranda was anything but reliable and the pitchers tended to be on the small side....ventricosa and ventrata went through a few months of mutant pitchers during the adapting period and went back to normal pitchers after that.....

these are the only ones i can comment on cause everything else i have grown in humidity tents.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, N. Viking does have thin leaves, but I am growing it under household conditions and it is now doing fine. It took a while to recover from shipping shock, it got really really beat up in the mail. It has now produced two leaves and is growing well under my ambient humidity. I have experience will all of those plants, except N. Mixta, and would say that they will all be fine if acclimated properly.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    not quite.....there are neps that do need high humidity to grow and there are a whole bunch that will grow fine in low humidity but WILL NOT PITCHER, veitchii is a good one for this.......been there done that, my household humidity is under 20% for atleast 7 months a year....
    Did you notice I wedged in the word "generally?" Meaning most, but not all.

I've seen a few pictures of globosa being grown under, what appears to be, normal conditions without any special humidity treatment. I'll see if I can find an article or a few pics.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have been through this before......what one person does doesnt mean others can......Pyro can grow hamata on a window sill....i cant....why? the average house hold humidity in Atlanta is quite a bit higher than for those of us on the east slope of the Rockies and on the northern plains.....the term "window sill growing" doesnt mean much of anything.....what your average home humidity is does.....thats what determines what you can and cant grow as far as neps in a window....and not much else.....
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    we have been through this before......what one person does doesnt mean others can......Pyro can grow hamata on a window sill....i cant....why? the average house hold humidity in Atlanta is quite a bit higher than for those of us on the east slope of the Rockies and on the northern plains.....the term "window sill growing" doesnt mean much of anything.....what your average home humidity is does.....thats what determines what you can and cant grow as far as neps in a window....and not much else.....
    Just because I say that I saw a few pictures of a globosa being grown in a window does not mean I am implying that everyone can. I am only suggesting to try it and see if it works, because apparently it does work for some people.

Do you have experience with globosa?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope never grown globosa but i wouldnt be trying it out in the open air up here because one person has said they could.....unless i know their humidity and mine are in the same general spot......see back to me versus Pyro growing hamata on a window sill.....also the point of growing neps is the pitchers......yeah i can grow veitchii on my windowsill and it will grow like a weed but i might, MIGHT see one pitcher a year, pretty much a wasted effort to grow it if i cant give it good humidity isnt it?....
    cervid serial killer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast