User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Was Killing My ventrata. Now What?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. I have LFS, peat moss, silica sand, perlite.... So I'll look up people's views on the best mix and repot into a pot that's a bit bitter than the one it's in.
    Tim

Grow List

bogspot - my blog about my plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see a picture... but anyways, my ventricosa, even inside, is in mainly direct sun. WHen i move it out, though, it's sunnier. all that happens to mine is leaf burn at first.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awgaupp View Post
    I'd like to see a picture... but anyways, my ventricosa, even inside, is in mainly direct sun. WHen i move it out, though, it's sunnier. all that happens to mine is leaf burn at first.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tim.Cherepko/Jul92009# for bigger versions.
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's N. ventricosa, not N. x ventrata.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    I think that's N. ventricosa, not N. x ventrata.
    Heck. I'm not sure why I thought ventrata. Maybe I said in the chatroom that I got it from Lowe's and someone said ventrata; I don't remember. Does that change the prescription?
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspected it was more likely a N. ventricosa but was unconcerned if that was the case because no it doesn't change the prescription.

The newest emerging leaf looks quite good in fact. The burning doesn't look nearly as bad as described. I think the plant has made alot of progress towards adjusting but I would still consider a careful repot to a larger pot with some better draining mix. You will have to watch the moisture level more carefully though. Nepenthes like well drained potting mix so the roots can breath more, but attention must be paid so that they don't become too dry.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I suspected it was more likely a N. ventricosa but was unconcerned if that was the case because no it doesn't change the prescription.

The newest emerging leaf looks quite good in fact. The burning doesn't look nearly as bad as described. I think the plant has made alot of progress towards adjusting but I would still consider a careful repot to a larger pot with some better draining mix. You will have to watch the moisture level more carefully though. Nepenthes like well drained potting mix so the roots can breath more, but attention must be paid so that they don't become too dry.
    I don't let this plant sit in water anymore. I used to, but a month or so ago, I learned in a chat room that they don't like that, so I just top water it every so often, but the soil never gets dry.

Is there a mix you can recommend for the soil?

Also, if I acclimated it to outdoor weather here in Pittsburgh, would that be bad come wintertime when it has to live indoors? Would keeping indoors all year be better than late spring through early fall outdoors, then indoors the rest of the year?

Thanks
    Tim

Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never never let your Nepenthes dry out. They should dry a little between watering but that's about it.

I usually recommend a mix of LFS, perlite, and some orchid bark with maybe a little charcoal or something. Generally looking for the LFS to hold water, something like perlite or charcoal that won't decompose to keep it loose and airy, and something chunky that will hold some moisture but at the same time keep it loose and open. Orchid bark, coconut husk chips etc..

Some people do great with just pure LFS. Alot depends on your growing conditions and your cultural practices such as how often you water, how much you water etc etc. SO don't be afraid to experiment and learn what works best.

Moving plants from indoors to outdoors for the Summer and back again isn't a problem as long as it's done carefully. You will probably see a pause in pitcher production. Just try not to shock the plant too much.. or fry it ;> The plant will appreciate going outdoors during the Summer to get some better light and catch lots of food. The natural rainfall will be good for it too.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast