What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Was Killing My ventrata. Now What?

Looking really good! Those new leaves look excellent! I think they are probably smaller just because the plant is receiving better light. I assume the old leaves are the ones on the plant when you got it?

Looking really good! Those new leaves look excellent! I think they are probably smaller just because the plant is receiving better light. I assume the old leaves are the ones on the plant when you got it?

That's correct. So better light means smaller?

Not all the time. But usually brighter lights mean compact growth. Just don't overdo it otherwise you can burn the leaves.

Now the top of my soil mix is turning black, I realized. It didn't use to be black. It's a lot like the black that the LFS I was growing D. adelae in was.. Is this normal? I'm scared. :-(

mFwzel.jpg

63hyMl.jpg

3VHVMl.jpg

kind of normal. that's to be expected if lighting is super bright and hot. however, it may also be that your LFS is in the process of decomposing and turning into peat moss. your plant may turn out alright, or it may show signs of distress. if your plant is doing the later, you should probably get some new media to replant the plant in.

I grow my N. Alata and N. Ventricosa is almost nothing by peat. Your soil mix should be fine. If you're stuck on growing plants outdoors, then put your plant in bright shade, and move it a little more into a sunnier spot each day so your plant can get used to humidity first, then tackle light levels later. Most plants go thru shock when you're trying to make them get used to light, humidity, AND soil at the same time.

Back