What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Was Killing My ventrata. Now What?

I found out today, through the chat room, that the reason my ventrata was doing so bad is because it doesn't like much direct light. Right now, I have a half dozen or so brownish, deformed leaves on it, from drying out. Some are just kind of yellow. I've since moved the plant to the porch, where it only gets direct sun for 2ish(?) hours in the morning, instead of the 11 out back.

Since these plants don't go dormant, it won't do what VFTs do where they just shoot up pretty, healthy leaves to replace dying ones. Should I ignore the brown leaves, or trim them? They don't look good... Maybe trim the bad ones after healthy ones come out and don't dry up?

I've only had this plant a few months, and it's still living in its lidless death cube from Lowe's.

(I also just found out the same about my butterwort, not liking sun and such.)

Nepenthes can take quite a bit of direct sun but you need to acclimate them to it like any plant.

You can trim any dry crispy bits off. Be patient and it will make new growth that is able to handle the higher light levels. In the end it will produce larger healthier colorful leaves and pitchers!

Tony

I'm 97% sure I've seen it shoot out new leaves that dried. I thought new growth wouldn't need to be acclimated, it would just be fine in the environment. So all Nepenthes like direct sun, even ventrata?

Well, you can acclimate them to like direct sun, but not like VFTs, I think. You can grow them in bright shade, or filtered sunlight. Maybe use shade cloth?

I think that in general, Neps can handle full sun but do best when they have intermittent shade - like light tree cover where the entire plant gets direct sun throughout the day, but also has some shady spots pass over it as the sun moves across the sky. (I've heard VFTs appreciate a similar treatment with just a little bit of cover, but not sure those two facts are related.) Healthy Nepenthes that have time to adjust to full sun will make good use of it, but there are some varieties out there that don't really like it at all so far as I understand - such as N. ampullaria. It probably has a lot to do with how the plants grow - those with thick, waxy or hairy leaves are more tolerant of low humidity and thus better suited to well-lit conditions. Pigmentation may also play a role, but I'm not entirely convinced based on pictures and my experience with growing plants in my windowsill.
~Joe

Something I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is your container! I bet your prolly still using the little bottom half of that death cube. It will dry out completely in that little thing. If you keep it in there you will have to soak it before the sun hits it. You should re-pot if you want either of those plants to make it.

Ah, I'd overlooked that entirely with all the discussion of sunlight. Yes, potting is very important to Neps, especially to hardening them off properly. Nep roots need both moisture and fresh air, and as far as I can tell they appreciate having room to spread out a little. Get it out of that box immediately and into a more comfortable container. Don't worry about moving it into sunlight until it gets to growing in its new pot.
~Joe

My initial response that flashed through my head when I read the topic was...

Stop killing it?

Seriously though. N. ventrata should have no problem with full sun as long as the plant is happy and healthy and growing well. Repot it into a proper pot with appropriate mix and give it a month to settle back in and start growing a decent root system. After that time you can probably start acclimating it to brighter light. Most of the plants you get from the home centers will take a bunch more TLC and time to recover before you can toss them into conditions that a fully established plant can deal with.

Thanks for the help. I have LFS, peat moss, silica sand, perlite.... So I'll look up people's views on the best mix and repot into a pot that's a bit bitter than the one it's in.

I'd like to see a picture... but anyways, my ventricosa, even inside, is in mainly direct sun. WHen i move it out, though, it's sunnier. all that happens to mine is leaf burn at first.

I'd like to see a picture... but anyways, my ventricosa, even inside, is in mainly direct sun. WHen i move it out, though, it's sunnier. all that happens to mine is leaf burn at first.

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tim.Cherepko/Jul92009# for bigger versions.

I think that's N. ventricosa, not N. x ventrata.

I think that's N. ventricosa, not N. x ventrata.

Heck. I'm not sure why I thought ventrata. Maybe I said in the chatroom that I got it from Lowe's and someone said ventrata; I don't remember. Does that change the prescription?

I suspected it was more likely a N. ventricosa but was unconcerned if that was the case because no it doesn't change the prescription.

The newest emerging leaf looks quite good in fact. The burning doesn't look nearly as bad as described. I think the plant has made alot of progress towards adjusting but I would still consider a careful repot to a larger pot with some better draining mix. You will have to watch the moisture level more carefully though. Nepenthes like well drained potting mix so the roots can breath more, but attention must be paid so that they don't become too dry.

I suspected it was more likely a N. ventricosa but was unconcerned if that was the case because no it doesn't change the prescription.

The newest emerging leaf looks quite good in fact. The burning doesn't look nearly as bad as described. I think the plant has made alot of progress towards adjusting but I would still consider a careful repot to a larger pot with some better draining mix. You will have to watch the moisture level more carefully though. Nepenthes like well drained potting mix so the roots can breath more, but attention must be paid so that they don't become too dry.

I don't let this plant sit in water anymore. I used to, but a month or so ago, I learned in a chat room that they don't like that, so I just top water it every so often, but the soil never gets dry.

Is there a mix you can recommend for the soil?

Also, if I acclimated it to outdoor weather here in Pittsburgh, would that be bad come wintertime when it has to live indoors? Would keeping indoors all year be better than late spring through early fall outdoors, then indoors the rest of the year?

Thanks

never never let your Nepenthes dry out. They should dry a little between watering but that's about it.

I usually recommend a mix of LFS, perlite, and some orchid bark with maybe a little charcoal or something. Generally looking for the LFS to hold water, something like perlite or charcoal that won't decompose to keep it loose and airy, and something chunky that will hold some moisture but at the same time keep it loose and open. Orchid bark, coconut husk chips etc..

Some people do great with just pure LFS. Alot depends on your growing conditions and your cultural practices such as how often you water, how much you water etc etc. SO don't be afraid to experiment and learn what works best.

Moving plants from indoors to outdoors for the Summer and back again isn't a problem as long as it's done carefully. You will probably see a pause in pitcher production. Just try not to shock the plant too much.. or fry it ;> The plant will appreciate going outdoors during the Summer to get some better light and catch lots of food. The natural rainfall will be good for it too.

Heck. So when I thought I had all the possible ingredients for a mix, I wasn't even close. Coconut husk chips? Hmmm. Is that something I can get at a nursery?

Nurseries or some bigger hardware/garden supply stores. You can also order it online I bet, but you might have to order a lot...
~Joe

Nurseries or some bigger hardware/garden supply stores. You can also order it online I bet, but you might have to order a lot...
~Joe

Since I just have one nep, maybe I'll try my luck with not using anything other than LFS, peat, silica sand, and perlite. I'd have tons of coconut husk chips leftover otherwise.

Just try orchid bark. It's cheap and easy to find in small bags.
~Joe

Back