What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Ron, what are your conditions like and have there been changes recently? Basals have not been observed by Rob in the 3 original plants (since the last time I ask).
No changes for over a year. The plant sits in a 75 gal tank surrounded by lots of Orchidioides utrics, Heli's & HL Neps in my basement. This area gets HL to weak HL conditions for most of the year and higher temps mid summer.

I hadn't noticed any posts about basals with this species so I found it quite unusual (& naturally was hoping for a flower instead). The plant is truly a gorgeous, robust beast. While this one doesn't seem to have the really dark pitcher bodies of some of the others, the peristomes are fantastic - definitely a show plant & an anchor in the collection.

Hey Uphwiz, I said I would post the pics of my newly opened picture for you and yes it does still seem to be more slender than some of the others here :)

The new and the old,
Nepenthes 120113 new.jpg

The old pitcher fully colored up now,
Nepenthes 120113 new2.jpg

10490287375_d797074831_c.jpg

10490614475_dd7e994267_c.jpg

10490514805_a34bb5d6bc_c.jpg

LOVE that shot from behind with the sun showing off the green! :D

My newest pitcher

ecfba139d606f60240859728054ef123.jpg

This is the darkest it gets.

I can't get mine to do a thing.... I've put it into a good, airy mix with live sphagnum as a top dressing, it gets watered well enough to stay moist but never wet, and I have tried growing it in both intermediate and highland conditions, even adding rooting hormone during transplants, and nothing..... any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

hcarlton,
Does it get plenty of light? Mine is kept pretty wet and plenty of light.

I would keep it more moist. Mine is not sitting in water but is very wet. Also it is in very high humidity (+90%) and seems to love it.

I'm catching the tail end of this thread, but is there anywhere to get one of these plants now? They really are spectacular.

I'm catching the tail end of this thread, but is there anywhere to get one of these plants now? They really are spectacular.

N. robcantleyi? They're hard to fine now, as it seems the seed-grown plants have all been sold and distributed. (or so it seems) I recall that Tony had acquired some of the last BE had to offer, but IIRC, they were damaged or died in transit, so I don't know if any of them will make it into the hands of growers. Contact Tony and inquire. You should also ask Dean Cook and see if he can help you. Otherwise, set up an eBay alert to notify you if one comes available there....it does still happen - occasionally. I have two plants and I have a feeling I will let one of them go within the next year, but I have not made a firm decision yet.

EDIT: Tony currently lists one plant of robcantleyi, but that listing is many weeks old, so you need to inquire about availability.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this gets spread out in cultivation over the next few years. My, what a gorgeous plant. :)

I'm hoping this gets spread out in cultivation over the next few years. My, what a gorgeous plant. :)

IIRC there were something like 2000+ original seedlings BE had to offer.....how much more "spread out" do these need to be?! LOL

BE recently started distributing TC individuals (assortment of 550 clones), so most if not all of the small plants available now are produced in tissue culture. Larger plants are either from the original seed-grown batch or BE's recent release of XL tissue culture individuals. Definitely inquire with the two sources mentioned above.

BTW, I acquired mine from a well known nursery in Sebastopol, CA. You may check if they have any in stock not listed on their website.

hcarlton,
Does it get plenty of light? Mine is kept pretty wet and plenty of light.

It gets morning sun through the window and then light from my grow lamps throughout the rest of the day, probably 16+ hours of light. When it's watered, some always collects in the tray too. And humidity is always very high in the greenhouse.

Back