What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

I think we know who got the winning clone....:)

Yeah, I really think I got the nicest looking one out there. Those dark purple mature pitchers are pretty awesome. I have a smaller one too that's also really nice but a lot slower.

my latest

Last edited:
This is the smaller of my two. It darkens considerably from all-green, but is not yet fully aged in this photo - it will end up a deep chocolate brown perisome with modest brown mottling on the body.
20140105-110713.jpg

This is the larger of my two plants, and also the darker-pitchered of the two. This one ages to a chocolate brown body with a deeper brown peristome. This pitcher is from last Spring, (its about 8" tall) so its starting to look a bit peaked. Sorry.
20140107-131946.jpg

Both of my plants are painfully slow growers. I'm going to experiment with placing them closer to the roof of the greenhouse where they get a bit more warmth in the winter - that may help speed them up a bit, I hope.

Last edited:
Paul I love them! I love the squat shape of the first one!

Paul I love them! I love the squat shape of the first one!

Yeah, although its not as dark-colored as the big one, I much prefer its squat shape. Its likely the one I will end up keeping, even though the other has better color. I kinda like the green/brown contrast more :)

Yeah, def keep that squaty one!! :)

Took this picture today of my robcantleyi's newest pitcher:

Fantastic

Pure black.

You're torturing me....

In the jungle ...

The larger, redder of my two clones:
20140415-174030.jpg

That's beautiful, Paul. Hows the squat clone looking?

Beautiful plant Whimgrinder! I never noticed that truncate had patterns on the inside of the pitchers but not the outside. It looks like it still has a ways to go before reaching full size.

Beautiful plant Whimgrinder! I never noticed that truncate had patterns on the inside of the pitchers but not the outside. It looks like it still has a ways to go before reaching full size.

However, this isn't N. truncata, this is N. robcantleyi. Two different species.

However, this isn't N. truncata, this is N. robcantleyi. Two different species.

Why are they called black truncata then? I thought robcantleyi was called previously called truncata "Queen of Hearts" x "King of Spades."

Back