What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Mine hasn't actually unrolled it's first leaf in 3 weeks lol. Only the tendril has come out of the mother leaf. Some plants have taken a month to acclimate and even do anything to be fair and I did just toss it outside in near-full sun.

chris i find the robc will take 2 or 3 months to unfurl a leaf and develop a new pitcher ,so don't hold your breath buddy;)

Last edited:
chris i find the robc will take 2 or 3 months to unfurla leaf and develop a new pitcher ,so don't hold your breath buddy;)

+1: this is a very slow species. Slow-like-lowii slow.

Slow, but after 2 years, mine has grown from a 5" diameter seedling to this, which ain't bad:
20140525-072634-26794032.jpg

That's looking pretty darn black.

Yeah, it looks prettier than the dark red variant that is most often seen I think.

Most of the dark red pitchers you've seen are likely brand new and have not yet aged to their full color. This pitcher was red about a month ago:
20140415-174030.jpg
]

Last edited:
great looking plant Paul,it may be slow but still has the ability to double in size in about three leaves

This was one of the pitcher casualties during the move. I figured I'll post where it belongs.

I always wanted to get a seed grown N. truncata QoH x KoS BE-3307 and I am grateful to Mr. J. Brown for letting me have not only one but two seed grown N. truncata ( robcantleyi) BE-3307. The plants are small, because they got too cold and almost died, this are the few that survived. They are from a shipment on October of 2011. This is what he told me. The growth pattern of each plants are so different. One has a long tendril before the pitcher forms with very small leaf. The other has short tendrils with large pitchers. Anyway I am happy.

Ramon:D

14913719568_a2d88312d4_z.jpg

14913656930_08c40929aa_z.jpg

15077297726_60c1825178_z.jpg

14913599839_98c2eb179e_z.jpg

15077307826_06793c3217_z.jpg

Tendrils kinda annoy me sometimes, because they can be longer than the plant is tall for young plants sometimes, gosh it makes potting a pain.

Tendrils kinda annoy me sometimes, because they can be longer than the plant is tall for young plants sometimes, gosh it makes potting a pain.

I know!

Ramon:D

Last months pitcher starting to colour up

Beautiful, Corky. Finally we're seeing some plants that are approaching quasi-adulthood.
I sure wish we could rename this thread, considering its now-erroneous title.

Cheers Paul ,funnily enough I was thinking the same thing,

Last edited:
What do you want it renamed to?

xvart.

Well, this species is now recognized as distinct from truncata - its N. robcantleyi, which has little (if anything) to do with truncata. To continue to discuss these plants as N. "black truncata" is just propagating misinformation.

Well, this species is now recognized as distinct from truncata - its N. robcantleyi, which has little (if anything) to do with truncata. To continue to discuss these plants as N. "black truncata" is just propagating misinformation.
Yeah, I'm saying I can change the name of the thread if you all want. I just need to know what specifically... N. robcontleyi babies?

xvart.

How about...

Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Back