User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes robcantleyi (formerly known as Black Truncata)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps n Things, how large is that pitcher? That's one of the most beautiful pitchers, imo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no they are not all the same age. I just got one that is three inches across. There were larger ones too. Did these go into TC?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ron,

Love to see what these deformed pitchers are looking like for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Wow Paul - that thing really colored up nicely since the last pic! If the pitcher is ~3.5", then the leaf it's on is ~1 inch? My latest leaf is 3-4". It would be nice to see an un-deformed pitcher grow up on it .... (probably too much to hope for ...)
    --------
    z

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zlookup View Post
    Hi Ron,
    Love to see what these deformed pitchers are looking like for you.
    At some point I've intended to share my journey with this plant so now is as good as time as any. I received my plant in the 1st wave like many others. It grew amazingly well so after this pic was taken..... (2.5" pot) (the pitcher forming @ 1 o'clock even has a full lid!) ....

... I repotted into a larger pot, using the same mix as the original. From that point, it didn't even try to make a new pitcher. Each month I struggled with why - First - it was "don't worry, it's just adjusting after being repotted", then it was "it must not like the hotter summer temps - it's going to cool down soon", then the reverse "it doesn't like winter temps...".

Finally I gave in and repotted into a peat-free media mix (same size pot). From that day, the plant started to grow again - really grow. After the repotting, the next leaf was larger & it inflated a small pitcher with little-lid syndrome (not shown). At least it was a step forward. Since then, each leaf has been larger but the pitchers have been deformed - almost circular - very odd. Here's the pitcher after the one with little-lid syndrome:

.... and here's pics of the next pitcher (which was also the most recent) - side views (although it's not obvious, the pitcher below is about twice the size of the pitcher above):

The mouth of the pitcher on each is circular with no lid at all. The 2nd pitcher formed with the mouth directly against the pot.

... and the front:

Suggestions, thoughts are welcome (as always). Now you can see why I said ....
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    It would be nice to see an un-deformed pitcher grow up on it .... (probably too much to hope for ...)
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-12-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What causes lids to not form or be small? I have this happen to some of my plants sometimes too though nothing this severe. It happened to my first merrilliana pitcher but my second one formed a normal lid. Seems almost random.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    Neps n Things, how large is that pitcher? That's one of the most beautiful pitchers, imo.
    I didn't have a ruler but my best guess using a piece of printer paper as a guide is 8 1/2 to 9 inches tall. It is the first pitcher to form in a few months with the shorter winter days slowing growth down a bit. The newest leaf is noticeably larger than the one that formed this pitcher and I'm excited to see the pitcher that it forms!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, although my original plant is gradually progressing to less-deformed pitchers, an opportunity came up to trade for another. Naturally, the developing pitcher broke off during shipping or unpacking - but a new one started growing immediately. While it may still have more coloring-up to do, it's already head & shoulders beyond my 1st one (& the next leaf is already 30% larger than this one). In it's home ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like my last update on this thread was 8 10 11 so i thought i would add this update of mine now it seems to grow in normal home humidity and home temps 72 to 80 but loves lots of extra light, this is now under a ho t5 with a bloom and grow bulb, no misting just likes to stay very wetcant wait the next leaf is quite a bit larger than the one attached to this pitcher, i wnat to get a picture of it opening before the peristome folds back.