Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ARGH, crickets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARGH, crickets!

As most reptile keepers know, having crickets around almost always means having escaped crickets around. Until just a few minutes ago, I was keeping my lowland tank on its side, on the floor in my reptile room. I use sphagnum moss as a substrate to keep up humidity. I haven't been paying much attention to my lowlanders other than keeping them watered.

Well, I took a good look at them today and noticed some big crickets wandering around. And then some munched-on leaves on my albo seedlings. Two of the larger seedlings had been pulled out of their pots. I went to chase down one of the crickets, and it hid near the tillandsia I have near the back. I pull the tillandsia out, and with it a clump of sphagnum it had dug its roots into. Guess what starts falling out of the sphagnum?
    Baby crickets. Little pinheads, must be only a week or so old. Fantastic. Now I've got a tank full of pinhead crickets. I think I'm going to have to get rid of all that sphagnum tomorrow.
    *facepalm*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or you could put a couple of sundews and/or pings in there and let them feast!
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i HATE crickets sooo much. All of the herps ive kept just get worms and pinkies and stuff. If they require crickets i go and get the dried flukers ones. Ugh crickets suck. One of my very first leopard geckos was practically eaten to death by a large cricket. Hate those things.

Sorry about your predicament. Id say bring in the calvary, some dews, some VFTs, maybe som,e large neps and a pair tweezers.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crickets are the only bugs I occassionally buy for my plants. Cephs, neps and vfts love em. I get like a dozen of the smallest ones I can at the local petstore (they don't sell pinheads). I use forceps to indivudually feed each one to every plant that I want. My cephs have become fat thanks to these pet store delights. I guess the problem comes when u let them run free among your plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its in a terrarium, put a bunch of dry ice in there, and mostly seal the top. The co2 will displace the o2, suffocating yer bugs, but the plants will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    i HATE crickets sooo much. All of the herps ive kept just get worms and pinkies and stuff. If they require crickets i go and get the dried flukers ones. Ugh crickets suck. One of my very first leopard geckos was practically eaten to death by a large cricket. Hate those things.

Sorry about your predicament. Id say bring in the calvary, some dews, some VFTs, maybe som,e large neps and a pair tweezers.
    Yeah, no kidding. You ever tried silkworms? Super nutritious, don't run or hide. They just sit there and be delicious. Only takes a few to fill up a gecko. I'm switching over to these and mealworms as my staple.
    I think I may bring in a few pings just for fun, but knowing how many eggs a cricket can lay I doubt it'll fix my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    If its in a terrarium, put a bunch of dry ice in there, and mostly seal the top. The co2 will displace the o2, suffocating yer bugs, but the plants will be fine.
    I may give this a shot. Thanks for the tip!