What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes singalana

Wolfn, how is your Nepenthes singalana doing?

About half a year, I accidentally broke off the growing tip. Since then, it's put up two off-shoots which have been growing at a glacial pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
About half a year, I accidentally broke off the growing tip. Since then, it's put up two off-shoots which have been growing at a glacial pace.

Im sorry to hear that! My N. singalana is growing at a similar rate as well. I'm thinking about injecting the soil with coffee.

Im sorry to hear that! My N. singalana is growing at a similar rate as well. I'm thinking about injecting the soil with coffee.

I did this with mine, and it grew a little bit faster, and sent up a nice pitcher for me. It doesn't seem to have the same effects as with other nepenthes, however, as I don't notice the next couple of leaves being significantly larger. When I coffeed my truncata, the next leaf ended up 2.5-3times the size of the previous one.

I did this with mine, and it grew a little bit faster, and sent up a nice pitcher for me. It doesn't seem to have the same effects as with other nepenthes, however, as I don't notice the next couple of leaves being significantly larger. When I coffeed my truncata, the next leaf ended up 2.5-3times the size of the previous one.

any tips for Wolfn and I about how to get a singalana out of a funk, then? I repotted it recently, and i thought it was going to pitcher, then changed its mind. As best I figure, everything should be fine for it to pitcher, it just needs a little "jumpstart."

Thank you,
CJ

any tips for Wolfn and I about how to get a singalana out of a funk, then? I repotted it recently, and i thought it was going to pitcher, then changed its mind. As best I figure, everything should be fine for it to pitcher, it just needs a little "jumpstart."

Thank you,
CJ

What are your temps and humidity at right now?

I grow mine in a planted tank, in live LFS with a layer of peat/perlite at the bottom (just in that section of the tank, of course). The humidity is around 70%. Day temps are 75, close to 80, and night temps are 50-60. This is really hard to tell because I just put ice packs outside the terrarium at night, but the Nepenthes singalana is up against a wall, and an icepack sits right outside that wall.

I know it grows at a glacial pace, but the first leaf it turned out under my care has pitchered, but it didn't start to inflate the pitcher until it was working on growing its third new leaf.

I'll try to get some pictures when I am at school next. My 10g planted tank is on loan to my school for the next month. Of course, as such, there are no ice packs at night, so it'll be a good experiment to see how temperature really affects the plants in there.

I have a Nepenthes Singalana too. Seeing that I got it a week days ago, I only have only noticed a bit of growth. However, it seems to be growing steadily for me. If you want to see my conditions, look on the thread "Nepenthes Talangensis Help" Good Growing

I wouldn't necessarily take this as evidence that singalana doesn't respond to coffee fertilization. Rather, truncata is known to grow in fits and starts; both truncata clones that I grow jumped up in size after being small rosettes for a long time. I've heard the same thing from many other growers as well.
~Joe

Back