Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nepenthes Cutttings!

I drink to make others more interesting. bpullin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it be safe to use a very diluted solution of a water soluble orchid fertilizer lightly sprayed on the leaves? Just curious. I don't know if that would jump-start pitchering or not.
    We'll raise up our glasses against evil forces
    Singing whiskey for my men, beer for my horses

1-20-13 = The End of an Error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the CPUK forum :
    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8130
    I've got a vining N. Ventricosa too (but it's pitchers are growing ) When it gets larger, I'll probably follow this tecnique, since it seems to be a little easier, just leaving the whole stem intact, and it might result in a more decent strike rate, since it's still attached to the mother plant.
    As for the Nep not pitchering, I heard somewhere that fertilizing or feeding too much'll make it grow fast w/out pitchering, since the pitchers are just add-ons it grows when it needs the vitamins and all those other things found in bugs (and rats ). I don't fertilize my N. Ventricosa, and it has 2 pitchers swelling.

I've heard stuff like "some Neps that have closer together nodes (like Ventricosa) need to have the bottom 2 or 3 leaves of the cutting or layering chopped off to allow for growth or something." Is this true, and if it is, what's the useof it? More room for working? And are the nodes are ust where a leaf connests to the vine, right? Sorry for asking these ??s on your thread, but I didn't think they were worth a whole new one.

Happy Growing!
    Aslan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pitcher Production

Hi,

In my experience, on some Nepenthes varieties, if the humidity is too low
    pitchering stops.

When I increase the humidity thru spraying the leaves
    many times a day (as much as you can), pitchering resumes.

You may want to try this if everything else that others suggest doesn't work.

Good Luck!

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we need a "why won't it pitcher" thread?

Keep in mind that nothing good happens to Nepenthes quickly. To know if any changes are for the positive it takes months to show, while changes for the negative can show in a matter of days. Also keep in mind that Nepenthes that are beyond the rosette phase are more difficult to pitcher. Some may not pitcher without the tendril grabbing a support etc.

I can't really comment much Halt on your plant outside. All I can see from your photo of your other plant is big floppy light colored leaves, a not so strong and sturdy looking stem. The basal with similar looking leaves and elongating growth at a small size and tiny pitchers in relation to the leaf size. All of which indicate to me very insufficient light levels. Do you fertilize? Excess fertilizer can cause similar symptoms but it takes quite a bit to negatively impact pitcher production, although in a low light situation perhaps it is less than what I am accustomed to.

Carn12 it sounds like your plant is in a good location. How long have you had the plant and how long has it been in this position? It sounds to me like it is fairly new, as you mention "starting to turn red, and the leaves are gaining colour".

Very rarely do I find a plant that refuses to pitcher if light and environmental factors are to the plants liking with no major fluctuations outside the plant's comfort zone. When I do, it is usually a vining plant and wacking it back and forcing it to make some lateral shoots often kicks it back into line!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    Hmmm, well My ventrata is outside aswell. The stem is starting to turn red, and the leaves are gaining colour, however. it too, doesn't want to pitcher. It get direct light in the morning, and bright indirect light during the afternoon.
    I bought a Ventrata about two months ago had no pitchers i put it in full sun an it is starting to pitcher finally

Daren

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony- Hey Well, I've had it for about two months, its been in the location since I got it, its in its vining stage, however it was a recently rooted cutting. Its outside, here in toronto we have 70% + humidity. I'm not sure whats wrong with it.

It recently also grew long enough to get direct sunlight.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivoure12 View Post
    Tony- Hey Well, I've had it for about two months, its been in the location since I got it, its in its vining stage, however it was a recently rooted cutting. Its outside, here in toronto we have 70% + humidity. I'm not sure whats wrong with it.

It recently also grew long enough to get direct sunlight.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It sounds like it needs more time to me.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought of that too, thanks.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12