What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes cutting in flower

3 months after cutting the growth point i get this :

IMG_1350.jpg

should i cut it off or let it grow? what would happen if i let it grow? i think its kinda cool but dont want the whole thing to die after its done....

I guess you can cut it off if you want. What plant is it on?

Well, if you want to make some ventricosa crosses or just experience a flower, leave it. If you feel uncertain or think it'll take up energy, cut it off. Your choice. Either way, I don't think flowers don't do much to the plant like VFTs.

i personally would let it flower and either distribute its pollen (if male) to other growers or (if female) get pollen and grow out the seedlings.

I would cut it, since it is a rooted cutting, its probable that the ventricosa is stressed, and stressed nep cuttings tend to flower prematurely.

Cut it so it can fully recover.

That's just plain incredible!

i would leave it if it is rooted . if you dont thats fine to but i would at least wait to see what it is .
Cant tell by the pic being so far but it looks like a Male

ive had it happen to me a few times.....in my limited experience with this sorta thing, if its a female it likely wont produce much seed if any in a situation like this.....course the plants it happened to me on were a lil more touchy than a ventricosa.....at the very least ild let a few flowers open to confirm sex and likely chop it, but thats me....

I agreed with rattler. At this stage the roots are not established, either a male or female flowers wil not be very viable.

I agree with SPsam and rattler, find out what kinda junk it's got! Boy or girl?!?

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Capensis, there's a double negative - positive in your statement, leaving me unclear as to what you were trying to communicate. I hope I was clear this time.

I am in agreement with a few others here as well. You can even cut off the tip and let a couple buds flower to determine sex, but every time my cuttings flower like this, i get rid of them. The flowers will definitely eat up the plant's energy and slow it down. 3 months is not enough time for the plant to grow an extensive enough root system to support new growth and a flower spike. That's just my opinion/2 cents though. Good luck, and let us know how everything turns out down the road! :)

Capensis, there's a double negative - positive in your statement, leaving me unclear as to what you were trying to communicate. I hope I was clear this time.

Oh, haha. I mean that I don't think it'll do as much harm to the plant like VFTs. But the typo wasn't that confusing. Lol.

Anyway, I'm probably wrong since it's a cutting and not a completely established plant. Lol.

Oh, haha. I mean that I don't think it'll do as much harm to the plant like VFTs. But the typo wasn't that confusing. Lol.

Only enough I had to ask what you meant, just that much. ;)

dang! i really wanted to keep it just to see the tiniest of nepenthes flowers ever, but, i think ill have to go with the majority on this and snip it. (haha its a male too. snip snip! get it? uhhhhh...) its the tip of the vine so it should eventually get the most robust root system compared to the other cuttings. i definately dont want to mess that up. my girlfriend will be pissed that im chopping up her plant EVEN MORE! haha

Back