What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Windowsill Experiment (DUW)

Hey guys,

I wanted to share my progress with my Nepenthes that have been on a windowsill for about a month. I will document their progress along the way, and post updates.

A member here, Jimmy Inspired me to try windowsill growing now that I have a proper Window :)

Conditions

• 50% - less humidity
  • Twice a day misting
  • Distilled water
  • Direct Morning sun until noon
  • Bright indirect light in the afternoon
  • Highland Temperatures
The following Nepenthes are on the windowsill:

• N. 'Lady Pauline' - Fastest to adjust
  • N. ventricosa - second fastest to adjust inflating frist pitcher on windowsill
  • N. x ventrata - Growing well
  • N. rafflesiana - 3 weeks to adjust
  • N. sanguinea - 3 weeks to adjust
  • N. spectabilis x aristolochioides - repotted and put on windowsill today 09/14/09
Do you guys think N. spectabilis x aristolochioides will do well on the windowsill?

Finally I say so far, from what I have observed, i'd say its been successful, and the the nice tints of red on the stems are witnesses to it!

Everything
DSC02048-1.jpg

N. 'Lady Pauline' - latest Pitcher (made on windowsill)
DSC02045.jpg

N. 'Lady Pauline' full Plant
DSC02046.jpg

N. ventricosa
DSC02047.jpg

N. x mixta
DSC02049.jpg

N. ventricosa getting some coloration
DSC02050.jpg

coloration on N. x mixta
DSC02051.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see it worked! Glad they adjusted ok to their new conditions.

Interesting. I wouldn't doubt that N. spectabilis x aristolochioides will do fine, despite the N. aristolochioides in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26/09

N. rafflesiana new pitcher

DSC02078.jpg

Neat. :) It's nice and tubby. Any pictures of the other Neps soon?

Cap- Yes N. 'Lady Pauline' is opening a new pitcher, the rest are inflating pitchers.

---------- Post added 09-27-2009 at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-26-2009 at 10:28 PM ----------

Updated Sep 27/09

N. mikei Has been added to the window!
DSC02079.jpg

aww, my N. mikei looks like yours.

I think they'll stop pitchering when the photoperiod drops much below 11 hours of sunlight, unless supplemented by artificial lighting.

jimscott---> Part pooper! hehe I know :p i don't think every one will stop pitchering. I mean the N. x ventrata definitely will stop. I'm not sure about the others. Its a bit hard to add Supplemental lighting to a window... So I guess they'll have to do with the light they get during this season.

jimscott---> Part pooper! hehe I know :p i don't think every one will stop pitchering. I mean the N. x ventrata definitely will stop. I'm not sure about the others. Its a bit hard to add Supplemental lighting to a window... So I guess they'll have to do with the light they get during this season.

Actually I did what Jimscott did.. :) Put your grow rack UP to your window, and put some lights on it. I actually did it yesterday and its pretty cool.
Oh I also copied jimscott with a big bucket of soil and throw seeds and stuff their, i swear i have over 200 D. capensis seedlings now.

To say the truth, another reason why I switched to windowsill growing was because my mom didn't like the unsightly look of a rack full of wires and lights. So I'll see how they go through the winter months, and judging from that, I'll know for sure whether i'll need to seek an alternative!

Here's one of my magic windows - they seem to do fine here:

P9270256.jpg

Trust me, they'll do fine on the window. At least they're getting direct sunlight. For the most of spring to some of fall, my window doesn't get direct sunlight, but my N. sanguinea seems to be doing fine. So I'm positive that your N. x ventrata will do fine. As of the others, most likely, as well.

If you get strong plants (no TC runts) window growing is a good alternative if you hate the shelves. Watch out for neps with thin leaves, i.e. N. tentaculata, N. glabrata, N. gymnamphora, as they tend to be really sensitive to low humidity. My N. tentaculata and N. gymnamphora both kicked the bucket when I moved them to the windowsill (though they were both also TC runts and adjusted to very high humidity).

Update October 8/09

N. 'Lady Pauline'

DSC02089.jpg

Lookin' good! :-O

very nice!

That Lady is coming along very nicely Carn. How is your Pasian N. truncata looking these days?

This doesn't look like a fail at all carn! Looking very good indeed ;)

Back