What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spring has sprung, most definitely

G'day everyone, hope you're all well.

Just thought I would share these with you all, as spring has well and truly set in in our neck of the woods, and in our sunroom the temp and humidity are both nice and high now until summer (when temps soar and humidity drops through the floor) and the better weather has meant some of my more unhealthy plants have recovered from their various ailments and kicked off again.

The first is a plant I had given up for dead, an inermis x bongso which suffered chemical burn when bleach was accidentally sprayed on it last year. I figured I'd let it alone and hope for the best and luckily it bounced back this last fortnight, producing this small, forming pitcher and two new leaves.

02_by_happy_gnome.jpg

A ventrata bought for $12 from some hardware store somewhere. It stopped pitchering and I'd worried I was killing it somehow, but then three little basals popped out the bottom!

03_by_happy_gnome.jpg

Last but not least a maxima x ventricosa which has had the worst luck of any plant I have ever owned. I had left in the care of my sister last summer (with aforementioned soaring heat and plummeting humidity) who left it on a windowsill where it was scorched to a crisp. It recovered slowly, and when it finally had two new traps I accidentally dropped it and snapped the new leaves off. I left it alone and it now has three new traps forming and is generally looking much happier than it has been previously.

04_by_happy_gnome.jpg

So! Although not the most impressive specimens, they are all troopers and I am glad they have all recovered.

All the best

John

Good to hear that they made it! :) I'm very interested on how the N. inermis x bongso pitcher will be. I have one, but a lot smaller, and I would say that it's a very amazing and colorful Nep. The pitchers go from yellow to near black! Poor N. maxima x ventricosa, lol. It looks like a regular houseplant. :/ But with the vigor of the two parents, it'll hopefully look great in no time. :)

Fortnight? :) Where are you from if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry, I am not trying to be offensive. That's not a term I hear often and I was just wondering where it is still used.

I had similar problems with my ventrata during winter months. It would always perk up in late spring through summer when I was able to give it more light. I would start it off with 2-3 hours of early morning sun and by the end of summer I would have it in 5-6 hours of direct sunlight. Also, by the end of this summer it would have numerous pitchers. It seems ventrata's love light.

Sadly, my ventrata has went to a better place. No, not heaven. A local conservatory where field trip children "look" but not touch. That is much better than getting trampled on my front porch by my children and all of thier snot nosed friends. :)

Good luck and congrats on spring!

Ha ha, Capensis, I won't tell my plant you said that! It had really nice pitchers when it had them, so I'm hoping that soon enough it will stop looking like a boring plant from 'big W' and more like the cool carnivorous exotic plant that it is.

dashman, I'm from Australia - Canberra to be more specific. I didn't know people elsewhere had stopped using it? I use it all the time, such a handy word!

I like the idea of sending your plant to a conservatory, people are always ineterested in them. We had police come to our house in the week and both of them were fascinated, ended up spending more time explaining about the plants than I did giving my statement! ha ha

UPDATE:

The N maxima x ventricosa is doing really well now, with three fully opened traps, which are starting to get splashes of colour.
Here are two of one of the traps (the light is a bit weird). Like I said before, not the best specimens (they will never win a prize!) but they have come through really well.

12_by_happy_gnome.jpg

10_by_happy_gnome.jpg

Here is a basal from the parent maxima x vent. which is making traps bigger than it's leaves at the minute.

11_by_happy_gnome.jpg

Lastly, the weirdest little spider I've ever had live in my Nep collection. No idea what he is, but it's purple with red legs and little black feet. It's tiny, only maybe a cm long.
13_by_happy_gnome.jpg

All the best

John

lol... very nice.

here fall has fallen... and i'm freezing!

Ha ha, aww, poor Kayota. Spring sprang for two weeks, then vanished into a freezing cold abyss of freezingness. Luckily I hadn't re-planted all my veggies out inot the garden, so they were safe in the sunroom through the freezing patch. Now its warm again and everything is growing well.

Back