What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider removal, without killing plants

the ones pictured are only bout 3 inches long and arent venomous.....we have lil ones around here that get an inch to an inch and a half....real cool critters but pretty far down on the dangerous meter....

The ones I've seen on youtube and pics from the Middle East are huge! They leave some NASTY bites too from what I've seen. :eek:

The ones I've seen on youtube and pics from the Middle East are huge! They leave some NASTY bites too from what I've seen. :eek:

trick photography, and a 3 inch "bug" looks freaking huge if you arent used to seeing them that big....

once again they aint venomous, least not enough to cause issues, even if a big one bites you....and given they are active hunters the only way your gonna get bit is if yah mess with them or roll over on one in your sleep....

they are both arachnids.....i think it counts :D

Yeah okay... but arachnid =/= spider... keep that in mind... it can but not always.

Anyway, one day I was sweeping their sunroom and this huge lumbering huntsman was thumping his way across the floor, so I swept around him as I would have any other time

Australia: Even though nature vomited monsters all over this barren isle of Lovecraftian horror, we live here anyway, because we just don’t give a crap.

Australia: Even though nature vomited monsters all over this barren isle of Lovecraftian horror, we live here anyway, because we just don’t give a crap.

:lol:

Is there any way to bring the pot outside and just hose the whole thing down? Or take a really strong spray bottle and just squirt at the little devil from afar?

Ha ha, I don't think I've ever started a discussion as long as this on any forum ever!

As for the offending spider, it buggered off! I assume because of the sudden interest in it it felt it wasn't in a safe enough spot anymore.

While this SOUNDS like the best thing, i.e. no death to plant, no human to spider interaction, it actually scares the hell out of me cos now I don't know where it's new hiding spot is.

On the upside, I am now armed with a spider spray and some good gardening gloves and boots, so when I find it.......

First off What Kind of Nep is it ....... Is it one that is Readlly available ?
If so Catapolt it at New Zealand give them some fun .
All they do is Drink an herd Sheep .
Then go get another nep

First off What Kind of Nep is it ....... Is it one that is Readlly available ?
If so Catapolt it at New Zealand give them some fun .
All they do is Drink an herd Sheep .
Then go get another nep

You forgot rugby

oops
I did LOL

false. introduction of invasive species ;)

Alex

On the topic of banana spiders, what has been posted from what I've seen (bare in mind I'm currently on my blackberry) but most of the banana spiders being mentioned are just golden orb weavers, and not the true banana spider...orb weavers are not severly toxic to humans, if at all but the true banana spider is.

the banana spider im referring to was a tropical Phoneutria species and not a temperate/subtropical Nephila species.....

Lol ok, that makes more sense then, and I would be scared as hell in the situation presented lol. If there was a banana spider around me (the true one) I'd freak out lmao

given how remote i am can you imagine my surprise when they brought the damn thing into the newspaper......ive had all kinds of weird but local stuff brought in but all in all they were easy to identify, and even if i hadnt seen one i generally knew they could be around.....kinda odd to look in the jar and know the only time you should be looking at the damn thing is on the Discovery Channel and unlike a tarantula which yah could explain as someones pet getting away this damn thing really shouldnt be here :D

I juat found this thread today.
Well, this sucks. I am glad the thread got turned around sanely, as this is not something to screw around with. BTW, from TV , IIRC, they can bite through leather to some degree(and thumb nails). Here is a Sydney one in threat posture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atrax_robustus.jpg
Bummer it relocated. Maybe it fell into a pitcher, but I would hesitate to look into any.
If you do find it, and it will run up a stick at you, use a long one(with a couple of friends) , and when it gets half-way up, drop the stick on op[en floor and have them pound on it with something. Not pretty, but this is different from many animal encounter situations.
Fears are fears. We have recluse and I am 95% sure that some that look close are not, but that is not good enough and I smash them. I love jumping spiders and woll spiders are always cool to watch.
Good luck with this, keep us posted.

Cheers,

Joe

Ha ha, I don't think I've ever started a discussion as long as this on any forum ever!

As for the offending spider, it buggered off! I assume because of the sudden interest in it it felt it wasn't in a safe enough spot anymore.

While this SOUNDS like the best thing, i.e. no death to plant, no human to spider interaction, it actually scares the hell out of me cos now I don't know where it's new hiding spot is.

On the upside, I am now armed with a spider spray and some good gardening gloves and boots, so when I find it.......

Back