Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider removal, without killing plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spider removal, without killing plants

G'day everyone,

Just have a quick question for you all. Among the numerous spiders which happily co-exist in and around my Nep collection there is, I have just discovered today, a funnel web. I am happy for the rest of the spiders to live inside my Neps, as they are harmless and have a good life with lots of food supplied, presumably, by the insect attracting nectar of the plants. A funnel web is a little different.

It was actually a friend who noticed it hidden amongst my plants and he tried to lure it out with a long stick in order to get rid of it, but its bloody fast and bloody angry, so we decided that we'd leave it there for a bit until we can think of a better way to get rid of it.

Anyway, this is a very long winded way of asking, is there a spider bait or poison you know of which wont kill the Nep? I am hesitant to spray the spider or really to do anything chemical to it unless I can be pretty sure it wont kill the plants, but don't really want to find myself being bitten one day either! Any ideas? Sorry, I probably sound like a whimp, but man, you should have seen how fast it ran up the stick! Fangs going and everything. It's strange, we don't often get them here, usually its redbacks, which are much easier to deal with.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

All the best

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need to get rid of it?
    why is "a funnel web a little different"?

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur with Scot, Why would you like to get rid of it?

I have a dozen spiders on my Neps. They actually do a very nice job of keeping the ant population in check. Granted some of them arent as 'pretty' as others but they dont come after me in my sleep

People tend to fear what they dont understand. These little guys may look menacing but even a black widow or brown recluse will not bite unless cornered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is from Australia, perhaps there is a safety concern. I hear there are some pretty venomnous spiders in Austrailia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hate to make you guys feel stupid but uh
    Funnelweb spiders have some of the MOST POTENT venom in the WORLD.

So yeah I agree it needs to go. However as far as methods I have no idea - sorry dude! Stay safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So because it has the capability to harm or kill something that means you have to kill it?? Maybe we should eradicate grizzlies and cougars since they have the same capabilities...

What great logic... Again I'll stick to my previous quote: People fear what they dont understand.

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if may chime in here Due to the Risk of a bite from this Highly toxic Venomuos Spider . I would find a way to remove it from you Nep's As to the killing of this this ,(ani will avoid a Huge clash with a good friend) But As a last resort an safty of your self do what is nessecery .
    But i Agree , if you need to ever move your plants for any reason ,such as trade or what have ya you might wanna remove him or her

Persoanlly i hate them damn things (spiders) , I think they are eivil an straight from Hell

Daren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    So because it has the capability to harm or kill something that means you have to kill it?? Maybe we should eradicate grizzlies and cougars since they have the same capabilities...

What great logic... Again I'll stick to my previous quote: People fear what they dont understand.
    Oh I'm not scared of spiders... I'll live quite fine knowing there's a black widow in my room. But the thing is, this guy has to handle his plants, just like the rest of us. The chance of getting bitten is much higher than if it were just in his yard or something. I think that the possibility being bitten by a venomous spider vs. killing that spider... I'd kill it.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast