What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

October Highlanders . . .

I hadn't taken shots of some of my highland Nepenthes in a while; and, as October temperatures drop at night in Northern California, these high altitude, cold-loving plants tend to show more color and "rapid" growth . . .

Nepenthes aristolochioides
NARISTO.jpg

NARISTO2.jpg

Nepenthes jamban
NJAMBAN-1.jpg

NJAMBANB.jpg

Nepenthes macrophylla
NMACROPHYLLA.jpg

Nepenthes villosa
NVILLOSA-3.jpg

NVILLOSAB.jpg

Beautiful babies!

Your aristolochioides and jamban are especially gorgeous :0o:

Where/how do you grow them (indoors/sunny window/fluorescent?, outdoors/year round?)

Spectacular! I love those, they are doing so well! and grown outdoors too. This just makes me more excited for my Jamban!

That seed-grown (I am assuming) N. macrophylla is magnificent!

I really like the mac and vllosa :) The rest are nice too!

Thanks all . . .

The Nepenthes macrophylla is indeed seed-grown from 2007; and the smaller plants in the pot were stragglers in terms of germination. The longest took about six months. Here is a shot of those same plants from earlier this year.

Nepenthes macrophylla -- March 2009
Nmacrophylla3.jpg

Yes indeedie-doo, some fine pics of some amazing young plants. Thanks for posting.

Amazing!! Those are so COOOOOL!!!

Great neps!
macrophylla from seed, wow

Great neps!
macrophylla from seed, wow

Thanks . . .

Here is a shot of the Nepenthes macrophylla plants, a couple of months after their germination, back in 2007. The dark material behind and around the plants are dead leaves and a portion of a peat plug.

Nepenthes macrophylla seedling --2007
MACRO2007.jpg

Very nice plants! :O

Great stuff, as always.

Do you use just pure Lfs?

Do you use just pure Lfs?

For Nepenthes, I typically use a 2:1:1:1:1 combination of live sphagnum, peat, perlite, pumice, and orchid bark -- the same compost I use for Heliamphora. The moss, on its own, doesn't drain particularly well . . .

Oh, cool. I'm want to try some new nepenthes mixes. Do you just use equal parts? And is it the best mix you have had so far?

I usually use a 2:1:1:1:1 mix or thereabouts -- just as long as it drains freely; and the best compost I've used is the one listed . . .

spectacular as always BB. Man!! I wish I had one of those macros.

Beautiful plants he says as he tries not to drool on the keyboard....

Thanks for sharing your photos and growing tips!

Back