Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ailing Ventricosa

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ailing Ventricosa

Here's an interesting one, this is my first Nepenthes, which has appeared to have come down with something. It has stopped pitchering, and now has brown spots on all of the leaves. None of my other plants have showed similar symptoms, and this plant has been looking like this for some time now, I just couldn't drum up a camera to take any pictures! I haven't noticed any pests, and as I said, the symptoms have only been local to this plant. Suggestions please!

BTW: The soil is not as dry as it looks, I top all my nepenthes with vermiculite to cut down on mold growth, and as such, the surface often appears very dry.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be rust?

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ventricosa has the same symptoms as davy has described! Help us please
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im wondering if its in the media....
    but im assuming rust as well,
    i dont use vermiculite in my nep mixes anymore because it breaks down and is very alkaline...turns into a nasty goopy mess too...not fun.
    Anyway, i would take a magnifying lens of some sort, and search for spider mites, as they are often near impossible to see with the naked eye, especially if the infestation is just beginning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check for pests first. On the close ups of your pic's I can see like white specks which could be pests. If you don't find anything pest wise I would think it's the media. If it's your first nep, have you had it for a while? If so the soil might have broken down and compacted. Just my two cents.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the top layer of vermiculite before and it worked out well to do exactly what Davy said; keep mold at bay. The last picture is very similar to what I've had on my ventricosa not too long ago due to hard water mineral accumulating. Like you said it stopped pitchering and the leaves started getting hit with brown spots. The 1st 2 pictures dont look quite like mine did but that last one is spot on.
    Have you tried flushing the pot? What kind of water do you use?

I made the mistake of using 'RO' water that was at 30 ppm and after a month that was enough to raise the soil levels to 250+ ppm. It's partly what convinced me it was time to get an RO/DI system. A good flushing may be in order here.
    Hope your plant recovers soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey wow, I just got back from brazil and noticed exactly the same problem with my Ventricosa. I was going to make my own post but hey, this is good enough. I got out my fun little microscope thing and saw exactly what SirKristoff said, spider mites... and "little white specks" which turned out to be old skeletons of them! So, as I just got back from a year and a half in Brazil and I have totally forgotten how to kill these fun little pests. what would be my best option? I think i have neem and... maybe some ortho somthing or other... I don't even remember if you CAN use those things... any help would be great! THANKS!!

-isaac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antechron View Post
    Hey wow, I just got back from brazil and noticed exactly the same problem with my Ventricosa. I was going to make my own post but hey, this is good enough. I got out my fun little microscope thing and saw exactly what SirKristoff said, spider mites... and "little white specks" which turned out to be old skeletons of them! So, as I just got back from a year and a half in Brazil and I have totally forgotten how to kill these fun little pests. what would be my best option? I think i have neem and... maybe some ortho somthing or other... I don't even remember if you CAN use those things... any help would be great! THANKS!!

-isaac
    Try Pentac (generic name dienochlor). It is a wettable powder miticide that stays on the leaves' surface. Apply once a week for 4 weeks (to get rid of eggs that will hatch later). Steve_D from flytrapcare.com uses it and swears by it.

You can also try neem oil; it's effective against spider mites as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast