Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes Outside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Outside

Y hallo thar, this coming spring, I'm hoping to get some Nepenthes to put outside. The Nepenthes that came in mind were N. rafflesiana, N. ampullaria, and N. bicalarata. But since I don't see a reasonably sized rafflesiana, I was thinking of replacing it with another Nepenthes. So, the question is what Nepenthes do you believe will do outdoors in Central Florida year-round? Currently, I only have a N. ventrata outside (and is doing well). During the spring and summer, they'll be shaded by a trees, but will receive sunlight as the sun sets. During late fall and winter, the trees lose their leaves and will expose the Nepenthes to the sun (which is still intense. When I put my N. ventrata outside laster year during later fall/early winter, it got severely sunburned). Due to the sun being south, my house will block most of the setting sun.

A Nepenthes that I think will do well is N. truncata. Thoughts? I can make a diagram if needed.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truncata Pasian, is very easy, It can grow in LL and HL conditions without a hitch. I`d say that ones a go
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Not only will it be ok in lowland conditions (and be in the shade), but it'll be able to take winter better since it can grow as a highlander.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're very far south, you may not be able to provide conditions that are especially close to what lowlanders expect. I would look into tolerant highland plants or hardy hybrids. From my travels in Florida, I seem to remember a noticeable day/night variation in temperatures. Unless you're right in the swamp where there's little wind and lots of humidity to trap the warmth at night, you should still consider yourself highland or intermediate. The sturdier lowlanders like rafflesiana and ampullaria would probably pull through, but I would be cautious with a starter-size bicalcurata. You can grow highlanders as lowlanders and vice-versa, but just remember that the further off you are from your plant's idea conditions, the poorer its performance.
    Have you looked at Nepenthes Around The House?
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I would still consider my area as lowland. The temperatures are in the low 90s/high 80's at day and I would suppose high 80s/mid 70s (at best) at night in the shade. I would assume that this is fine for lowlanders, yes? If this helps, I'm only about five minutes away from the coast.

And just wondering, what do you mean "starter-sized" bicalarata? I'm assuming you mean that smaller plants don't fare as well as larger sized plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. sp.#1 is a hardy one, from what I heard. Can take lowland or highland conditions. It gets big fast, too, like maybe 3 feet in a year from a 6-8" plant. I don't have one, but I did read about it on nursery website XXXXX Good luck!
    BTW, shouldn't this be in the Nepenthes forum?

Aslan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit: Problem fixed.

Anyway, I've also heard of how vigorous N. sp. #1 is. But honestly, I'm not too fond of it. :x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in mississippi with similar temps that you have. During the summer my lowlanders are outside in partial shade and my highlands come inside. When it cools off, my highlands come inside and my lowlands go outside in a greenhouse for the winter. I would most definitely not try to grow a highlander outside in Florida year round, but during the winter it will be okay. You need to protect it from frost. The summer heat will be too much for a highlander

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast