What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about dormancy for neps.

Chomp

Oops
So I'm thinking about getting this really nice nep I saw, but the only window that I can put it in for the winter dosn't get very much sunlight. I'm wondering if if would be fine to put it in that window and set up a few of those special lights to give it sun.
Would this work? I really hope so.
Thanx!
Chomp

Your title doesn't really relate to your question...Furthermore, Nepenthes don't go dormant.

And what "special" lights are you talking about? You have to be more specific.

Nepenthes are tropical plants, meaning they don't go dormant, ever. Special lights that would work start with cpf (compact fluorescents). And yeah the thread title and actual question don't match.

Chomp, a north window will still give you some light, but probably not enough in winter, to have a Nepenthes provide much in the way of pitchers. But it will definitely be beneficial to your new Nepenthes and it's ability to pitcher if you add supplement light above it. If you can place a 42 watt compact fluoresent above it, put it on a 14 hour photoperiod, and remember to mist the tendrils twice a day, you should be able to make it pitcher for you throughout the winter.

If you can, a south-facing window for the winter would probably be best.

Yha... I guess the title wasn't very specific. I just mean that they are those sunlight light things.
Will those work? They do in my terra.

I suppose they would. Do you know if you can use a south-facing window, though?

Can't use a south facing window. I know your going to yell at me for this; but it's a north facing window I believe. I'm hoping to use lights to make up for the low sunlight though.

WHAT!? A NORTH-FACING WINDOW!? NO, NO, NO, NO, NOOOOO.

Just kidding, it should be fine, especially with extra lights. My N. sanguinea had somewhat the equivalent of a north-facing window in winter during summer because of how south I am. My N. sanguinea is on a south-facing window, but during summer, the sun is on the other side. My sanguinea was fine though, a little green, but ok. Now that it's fall, the sun is now on the south side of my house, so now my N. sanguinea has been sun-bathing. :) Literally. It has an all reddish bronze leaf.

Cool. You got me there for a second. I'll put up some pics on a new thread when I get it.
Thanx!
Chomp

Back